cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IHM03 Gimbal Motor does not work with IHM08M1

MMenz.1
Associate III

Hi all,

I have setup the demo project with the P-NUCLEO-IHM03 and I can start the motor using the Motor Pilot 6.2.1. So far so good. Since I want to use a stronger Motor eventually, I have bought the IHM-08 and want to use it with the Gimbal Motor as an intermediate step and the Motor does not start correctly.

I can connect to the board but when I press start in the Motor Pilot the Motor starts and stops after e few seconds while the gauge on the Motor Pilot displays a high rotation speed.

I am using the settings listed below

• 6-Step
  • LL
  • IAR
  • Sensorless (since the motor does not have sensors)
  • No HW changes

Does anybody have the same setup and can tell me what I need to change that this does work?

I have added the .stwb6 file below but needed to change the ending that the forum accepts it.

5 REPLIES 5
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello MMenz.1,

Since you are doing 6-step, please make sure the IHM08's jumpers are correctly set for this configuration, as it should have arrived in FOC 3-Shunt configuration. The steps are described in the UM1996, around p.7

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

Hi Gaël,

Thanks for the quick response.

I could be mistaking but I think it has arrived in 1 shunt config (soldering bridges pointing towards R44 as shown in UM1966) and I did not change it. I did also double check the other jumpers (JP1 and JP2).

Gael A
ST Employee

Hello again MMenz.1,

Thanks for your reply. If this is no configuration issue then could you please tell me if any error is returned by the MotorPilot tool ? Is the motor speeding up normally or is it jittering and then stopping ?

Also know that the UM1966 recommends reducing C5 value in case of poor current regulation at start-up, so that may be the issue, although as you are bound to use a stronger motor, maybe you should try with it first.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

No error is returned. The motor is jittering and then stops.

When the motor has stopped the MotorPilot still displays "Run" in the status field (see image)

The consumed current at 12V is 100mA

Okay then I think this is simply because you are approaching the lower voltage limitation of the IHM08 board, which can be, for 1-Shunt configurations, a bit higher than the boundaries advertised on st.com. If you really want to make it run with the Gimball motor before switching to a higher voltage one, try either reducing C5 capacitor as mentioned in UM1966, or switching to 3-Shunt FOC, although I do not guarantee any success either way.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.