cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F767 : No Ethernet when APB2CLKDivider = RCC_HCLK_DIV8 or greater

Joerg Wagner
Senior III

My SysClock is 200 MHz, AHB Prescaler=1.

I want to slow down some timer to filter glitches from external input.

But when APB2 peripheral clock is set lower than 50 MHz

the Ethernet DMA does not send any data: no ARP, UDP or TCP.

Even when ABP2 timer clock is set to 200 MHz to give it a try.

Why does APB2 peripheral clock takes advantage of Ethernet traffic?

I cannot find any dependencies on page 19 in the datasheet.

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14

Then I'm out of the simple ideas, and debugging as usual should follow, i.e. observing the behaviour through ETH registers and comparing to the working case.

JW

Adam BERLINGER
ST Employee

Hi all,

I know this is quite old thread, but I recently handled same issue and some other users might find this information useful.

The problem seems to be with initialization sequence and configuring MII/RMII selection which is in SYSCFG block (clocked by PCLK2 from APB2). In the sequence, the switch is configured and then MAC is reset by software (clocked by HCLK from AHB). However when APB2 is much slower than AHB, it might happen that the reset is done before MII/RMII switch in SYSCFG and the peripheral is not working properly.

Below is a simple workaround that forces synchronization between SYSCFG and ETH (HAL_ETH_Init function in stm32f7xx_hal_eth.c):

/* Select MII or RMII Mode*/
  SYSCFG->PMC &= ~(SYSCFG_PMC_MII_RMII_SEL);
  SYSCFG->PMC |= (uint32_t)heth->Init.MediaInterface;
  (void)SYSCFG->PMC; // <---- Workaround: Dummy read to sync SYSCFG with ETH
  /* Ethernet Software reset */
  /* Set the SWR bit: resets all MAC subsystem internal registers and logic */
  /* After reset all the registers holds their respective reset values */
  (heth->Instance)->DMABMR |= ETH_DMABMR_SR;

With this workaround you should be able to choose arbitrary HCLK/PCLK2 ratio. But please note that there is still HCLK>=25MHz minimum frequency needed for Ethernet to work properly.

I think this is valid for all STM32s with ethernet, although the critical HCLK/PCLK2 ratio might differ between families. It has been reported internally and should be fixed in next releases.

Best regards,

Adam Berlinger

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info.

Are you talking about this one? https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/stm32f417-any-reason-why-a-min-pclk2-speed-is-required-for-ethernet-to-work/?all

RM0090 in description of SYSCFG_PMC.MII_RMII_SEL says this:

Note: This configuration must be done while the MAC is under reset and before

enabling the MAC clocks.

It's not clear, which reset does this note talk about - whether RCC_AHB1RSTR.ETHMACRST or ETH_DMABMR.SR - but given the latter is self-clearing thus it would be difficult to ensure it's still on when SYSCFG_PMC.MII_RMII_SEL is switched, it's probably the former. I presume Cube implementation closely follows the RM, so following this note won't resolve the problem?

Also, as I wrote in the linked thread, I tried my implementation and it works with any APB2 setting. My implementation is based on the original SPL-based "library", and it first switches SYSCFG_PMC.MII_RMII_SEL, after that enables the three clocks in RCC_AHB1ENR, and only after that (as part of ETH process going up/down as configured by user) the resets are performed, first in RCC_APB1RSTR then the self-clearing internal reset in ETH_DMABMR. Note that this does not obey the "configuration must be done under reset", but appears to be fully functional regardless.

In any case, could you please give a definitive ETH initialization sequence and make sure it appears in the relevant RMs? Cube is just one of the implementations, thus entirely irrelevant from documentation point of view.

Thanks,

Jan

@Adam BERLINGER​ 

PHolt.1
Senior III

The suggested fix works perfectly. ETH now running with DIV16 on PCLK2. Thank you!

https://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/20210616453310512.jpg

Piranha
Chief II

Hi, guys!

Recently @PHolt.1​ informed me about the following topic:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/stm32f417-any-reason-why-a-min-pclk2-speed-is-required-for-ethernet-to-work/

Reading the details, for testing purposes I modified my STM32F7 code to effectively the same as presented by @Adam BERLINGER​. Commenting out the dummy read, I got it failing at APB2 dividers of 8 and 16 with caches ON and only 16 with caches OFF. Adding a dummy read fixes all cases. Therefore now I can confirm both - the issue and the fix.

The reason my actual code is not failing is because I'm setting SYSCFG_PMC_MII_RMII_SEL bit early in board initialization and configuring ETH peripheral significantly later.

Thanks to @PHolt.1​ for digging this! I've added this topic to my list of Ethernet issues.