cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 - CubeMX 6.5.0 + Lwip + FreeRTOS: Some problems in ethernetif.c

dp65
Associate II

Since CubeMX changed to 6.5.0 and Firmware Package to V1.10.0 (included full-reworked ETH driver) Ethernet on existing project became not work after code regeneration.

Detailed investigation shows that:

1. Definition of memory location for RX_POOL (memp_memory_RX_POOL_base[]) is missed. Result of this - DMA fault on reception of any packet.
  2. In the function ethernet_link_thread() at section under if(linkchanged){} used HAL_ETH_Start(&EthHandle); instead of HAL_ETH_Start_IT(&EthHandle);. That stops ETH after reconnect a cable.

Software example that supplied with Firmware Package (LwIP_HTTP_Server_Netconn_RTOS) works fine and free of issues, described above.

But ethernetif.c, generated by CubeMX, needs to be corrected manually.

Also, it seems have to change Cortex_M7 memory regions settings exactly as in software example.

9 REPLIES 9
Muhammed Güler
Senior III

I was alone with a code that didn't work after the update. Thanks for reporting the bug. It was very helpful.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​,

Thanks for sharing your finds.

It is worth to bring it to the attention of our STM32CubeMX experts @Sara BEN HADJ YAHYA​ and @Khouloud OTHMAN​  to more investigate & share with us taken actions.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Armandas
Associate III

@Amel NASRI​ @Sara BEN HADJ YAHYA​ @Khouloud OTHMAN​ 

Any update on this?

Same issue is also reported here: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001TgW6xSAF/project-generation-for-stm32h7-with-freertos-lwip

Armandas
Associate III

For those who pressed the Migrate button, you can revert to the working version by editing the IOC file with a text editor and changing the parameters as below:

ProjectManager.FirmwarePackage=STM32Cube FW_H7 V1.9.0
MxDb.Version=DB.6.0.21

WGend.15
Associate II

I also had the second bug mentionned in this post after migrating to latest firmware package!

Please fix this! it looks like an easy fix !

"In the function ethernet_link_thread() at section under if(linkchanged){} used HAL_ETH_Start(&EthHandle); instead of HAL_ETH_Start_IT(&EthHandle);. That stops ETH after reconnect a cable.

@Community member​ Do you have the latest? CubeMX 6.6.1 or IDE 1.10.1?

WGend.15
Associate II

@Pavel A.​ Yes, I got the latest IDE (1.10.1) just today and i'm using STMfirmware package 1.17 for stm32F7

Piranha
Chief II
JArig.1
Associate II

Guys, my recommendation, stop using the ETH+LWIP implementation from ST. There are problems since years and they do not manage to get a real stable setup, even with the new driver.

In my application I needed a high reliable and high speed data communication (TCP) in an STM32H743. I've fought for months against LWIP but I had to give up. The speed was good but after 10 hours the STM stopped sending packets, it was just not reliable and unsuited for a high availability application.

I have switched to FreeRTOS+TCP and IT IS A BREEZE. It runs for days, weeks, w/o an issue. The integration is not that difficult either and the guys in the community forums are very supportive and have good knowledge:

https://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-Plus/FreeRTOS_Plus_TCP/index.html

Finally an ETH Stack that WORKS!