cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32h747 discovery blank

yakabmarci
Senior

i just received my brand new stm32h747 discovery board, on power-up it does nothing just two LEDs light up, according to the user manual it should be preloaded with a demo.

I checked in cube prog and it reports as blank.

Is it possible that my device got damaged somehow or it is just not flashed?

aren't units tested before shipping out?

Is this a common thing? I don't remember ever receiving a discovery board blank

45 REPLIES 45
BSam.1
Associate II

Update: clicking the button on STM32 Cube Programmer that says "USB" and selecting "STLINK" on the pull-down menu enabled connection, resulting to the screen below, so I presume that if I can find the demo firmware it could be downloaded, right?

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bj7aJQAQ.png

My statement above "the compiled demo can be found on the STM32H747I-DISCO product website in the subfolder STM32H747I-DISCO_demo/Binary" means:

• the URL behind compiled demo directly points to that compiled demo. All you have to do is click on the URL (the blue text), download the ZIP and then unpack it.
  • the URL behind STM32H747I-DISCO points to the Discovery product website, where you can find the same demo bin under the tab Documentation > Compiled Demos, after unpacking the demo ZIP, you will find the actual BIN under STM32H747I-DISCO_demo/Binary.

In the meantime I have expressed the previous statement a little more comprehensibly and corrected it accordingly above, I would like to apologise very much for the problems of understanding.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Would you be able to tell me when the problem with the latest batch of screens will be resolved? I have purchased 20 of these for a demonstration and the original board works perfectly. The cloans unfortunately do not work due to incompatible screens. about 6 weeks on from reporting the error, I am hoping I do not need to return them all and re-write all the code onto a new board. So any update, no matter how small would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Theoretically correct, but not quite sufficient, because an external flash must also be programmed, which must first be communicated to the STM32Cube programmer.

To make your work easier, however, you will find in the demo ZIP not only the HEX that contains the programme for the STM32H747 as well as for the external data flash, but also the appropriate BAT file for fully automated programming.

Since the BAT file is not encrypted, the command sequence can also be used for other operating systems if it is adapted accordingly.

Hope that helps?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
BRobe.3
Associate II

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your help. As mentionned in another post, I have also a Discovery Kit stm32h747i-disco (Coming from mouser without blister) which does nothing just two LEDs light up, One red on top and one green on back.

I read carefully all your recommendations. I get the en.STM32H747I-DISCO_demo. In Binary, I used the program_hexfile.bat file which looks to works well. I got the execution file with file boot and erase status and then, I got the loading progress bar. This progress bar disappeared at 92%. Nothing say, if the recording is right ?

Anyway, I was thing to have something on the screen but it remain black.

I understood, program_hexfile.bat program both internal Flash and external QSPI memory. Is that right ?

In the readme,txt, they talk of the file "STM32Cube_Demo-STM32H747I-DISCO-VX.Y.Z_FULL.hex" when in binary the file is STM32Cube_Demo-STM32H747I-DISCO-V1.0.0_FULL,hex. Is that an issue.

I also programm a flash 32 Gb, as mentionned in the text. I Checked images,sounds and videos on the computer. Everything looks Good. Anyway, I imagine, even without flash, the demo programm should show at least a menu. Is that right ?

What is wrong ?

Best Regards

Robert

BRobe.3
Associate II

Hello,

Some news about this issus not yet solve for me.

I used the program_hexfile.bat file again. I got the loading progress bar. This progress bar disappeared at 96%. The screen was still black after completion.

But, at that time, I restart my computer for another reason, the disco 747 board beeing still connected. And suddenly, the demo appeared. It was working well.

Then, I disconnect the board but the screen remain black. I try to restart my computer, but the sreen is still black

Best Regards

Robert

> In the readme,txt, they talk of the file "STM32Cube_Demo-STM32H747I-DISCO-VX.Y.Z_FULL.hex" when in binary the file is STM32Cube_Demo-STM32H747I-DISCO-V1.0.0_FULL,hex. Is that an issue.

Seriously? No capabilities of figuring out on your own what those letters with dots might mean?

BRobe.3
Associate II

Seriously, you are right. So, I assume, it's probably not a version issue.

But, my nice new DISCO has not yet a Demo.

Any ideas ?

Best regards

ACapo.1
Senior

As you are having trouble flashing this you could install TouchGFX, the demo is contained in there, create a project in TouchGFX using the board and the demo and then you can flash it from within TouchGFX, it will handle everything for you.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjW06QAE.png

Yes, the TouchGFX demos worked to my surprise. Once flashed, I found my old code written in CubeIDE could then be flashed as normal. If I flashed directly on a new board without first loading something (even a blank screen from TouchGFX), my CubeIDE code crashed the board​. Not sure if that helps anyone, but just my experience yesterday.