cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32h747 discovery blank

yakabmarci
Senior

i just received my brand new stm32h747 discovery board, on power-up it does nothing just two LEDs light up, according to the user manual it should be preloaded with a demo.

I checked in cube prog and it reports as blank.

Is it possible that my device got damaged somehow or it is just not flashed?

aren't units tested before shipping out?

Is this a common thing? I don't remember ever receiving a discovery board blank

45 REPLIES 45

@JSext.1​ @ACapo.1​ thanks to both of you for helping to narrow down and constrain the issue.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
JBlac.5
Associate

I am having similar issues. I purchased the STM32H747i-DISCO BOARD FROM Mouser about 4 weeks ago and the board appeared to be DOA except for the 2 leds that should always be on. I contacted Mouser and they quickly sent me a replacement board. unfortunately, this board was also dead except for the bottom power led and the communication led same as the other one. Thats when a search led me here. I tried the Tutti Frutti demo, and it does indeed work. The official demo from ST does not work at all. It will flash to the board, but nothing will happen. I followed the exact same instructions as for the Tutti Frutti.

I am also having trouble getting any of the display examples to work from the CubeIde project examples list.

Is there any progress on this from ST?

SFilc.1
Associate II

There is no development on the subject. If there is someone who understands in ST, the problem would probably be fixed in a few hours. To me, there is absolutely no technical department that knows what they are selling. Apparently, the Chinese do what they do, and that's it. They order them, and the Chinese do it. Only salesmen and telephone operators are left in ST.

CZomi.1
Associate

Hi There,

I just bought one STM32H747I-DISCO from Mouser, I received a brand new board. I was waiting for it for many months as it was not available anywhere here... I am a newbie to the STM32 Ecosystem, though I am rather experienced with other microcontrollers and Eval boards, so I am starting from scratch ... When I plugged my board, the demo was not running, screen was totally black, only two LEDs ON , same situation than JSext.1. I tried to flash the varous demos and got many errors and couldn't download nor lauch any of them using the STM32Cube Programmer. OK... Then I started with the Tutty Frutty Demo, following the UM 3008 manual step by step. I found that I forgot (not aware of it) to select first the board target in the External Loader menu , just pay attention that there are two entries for H747 in the list, I started with the wrong one :( (btw, this message is for newbies like me) but after a couple of trials disconnecting/connecting STLink and the board I could manage to dowload Tutty Frutty and it was running perfectly well w/o any issues.

Don't forget after the download to disconnect STLink and to reset the board with the reset button.

I dowloaded the other demos: TouchGFX, STemWin and EmbeddedWizard. They are all running fine when loaded individually. At some point, I ticked the box "full chip erase" in the programmer to be on the safe side when loading a new demo. I could download the full demo "STM32Cube_Demo-STM32H747I-DISCO-V1.0.0_FULL.hex" but it is not running as reported by all of you. The screen stays black. My guess at this point is that when I received the board, the Demo FW was most probably flashed but it was not running. Now, I am a bit relieved as it seems my EVAL board is OK from HW point of view. My next step now is to find a good working example/demo that I can compile w/o errors to flash it and run it in the board. It will help me to start in an easy way with this new system as expected... Hope it helps...

what about FP-AI-VISION?​

I hope that isn't true, but after a month on from reporting the issue there has been no update. I'm really surprised this issue was not picked up during a routine quality control inspection since it should have been obvious. I can only assume they were tested separately and not as a combined unit as the fault is with the new batch of screens.

BRobe.3
Associate II

Hello

I also just received a stm32h747 discovery board from Mouser, on power-up it does nothing just two LEDs light up, One red on top and one green on back

NO DEMO as explain in the user manual

Also, the board was not out of box in a plastic, as I saw on some internet presentation. It was in packaged in 2 plastic bags. It seems , this board not beeing brand new.

The Number is MBH1248-H747I-D03 A230800721.

Best Regards

It should definitely be in a plastic blister pack.

BRobe.3
Associate II

Thanks a lot for your fast answer.

It was not a plastic blister pack..

I ask to Mouser to change or refund

Best Regards

BSam.1
Associate II

Hi, All,

I just received my new STM32H747I-DISCO from Newark, and it behaves as @yakabmarci​ 's board: only the two LEDs lit up, and no demo. The board was recognized by Windows 10 Device Manager (as STLink Virtual COM Port), but unfortunately no more signs of life.

-- STM32 Cube Programmer was not able to connect to the board, saying, "Error: Establishing connection with device failed" and "No DFU detected".

-- @peter BENSCH​ mentioned that "compiled demo can be found on the STM32H747I-DISCO product website in the subfolder STM32H747I-DISCO_demo/Binary". Well, I tried the thousand places to click on that web page and cannot find any "subfolder" , nor anything named "compiled demo". Where can this demo be found? Also, where is this batch file that is supposed to load the demo?

-- What can I do to get the board back to life?

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bj7YmQAI.png Thanks for your help in advance!

Benjamin