cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"STM32H7 Single-Core Active Hardware Design Reference for Custom Boards"

jr_engr_mbed
Associate III

I have chosen the STM32H743 as the custom hardware chip to manage real-time applications, including displaying analog ECG data on a 1080x600 DWIN display with CTP and using a 24V thermal printer for printing. I need reference schematics for using SDRAM, Q-SPI, and the 208 LQFP package. Can I adapt the STM32H7-EVAL schematic files for our application by following the same connections? We will implement power sources as required, such as 12V, 24V, and 3.3V for the MCU..

I noticed in the EVL-SCH that SDRAM, NOR flash, and SRAM are connected to D[0..31]. I'm unsure why they are connected this way, and I'm wondering if I need to use these memory components as they are not present on discovery boards (specifically NOR flash and SRAM)

Screenshot (816).png

15 REPLIES 15
LCE
Principal

TDL wrote:
 attention to details

That is a big part of what makes a good engineer.

Check each and every IO of the final IC package for the needed Alternate Function, GND, VDD, special functions - and better do it twice...

Beware copy and paste, you're not doing firmware or software there, so things probably cannot be fixed with the next compilation, but only with a new PCB version, and takes time and costs money.

<Beware copy and paste, you're not doing firmware or software there, so things probably cannot be fixed with the next compilation, but only with a new PCB version, and takes time and costs money.>

Hi, thanks for the important NOTE. After discussing with the vendor, it appears that the BGA with a 0.8mm pitch of the STM32H743XIH6 can indeed be used to manufacture a prototype of 5 pieces for testing purposes. This decision is quite beneficial as it reduces the risk of errors in foot printing   or other potential mistakes, which is crucial for our first board to function like the evl-brd. I received instructions from the senior to keep the same board and package of the BGA itself, but to remove any unnecessary components. This should prevent any issues. We are implementing only the memory section, OTG_HS_USB, Ethernet, JTAG port for debugging, LTDC, and QSPI, which are already present. This should make the process relatively easy.so, if we follow same package as it is , then, its fine?

Regarding the STM32H743, since it is NRND (Not Recommended for New Designs), should I opt for the STM32H753I-EVAL, which is active? If so, it seems that mp1246-h753-E02 is the latest version 1.2, but E03 is version 1.0? Which version should be considered for the MP1246-board design file, version 2.0 dated September 9, 2022

Screenshot (822).png

Screenshot (821).png

  

Yes, it's a 1024x600 10.1" DWIN display with CTP, so it seems suitable. Currently, the layout person with many years of experience in design can handle any package. My role is to provide the necessary schematic documents. I tends to know after many discussion with pcb vendors, They have also support for the BGA package design, after I specified it's a 0.8mm pitch-stm32h753XIH6

Now, can I use the same package as the H753-EVL active board files but remove only unnecessary pages like ST-Link, FDCAN, audio extension connector, etc.? Also, I remove its netnames from the MCU pins so it works like the Discovery board, as we have did on the F7-DISC0 itself?

After prototyping using the EVL board with its EM_MB1246_BOM, the price for the BOM is reduced to below $100 compared to the EVL board's price of $318.??right.

Now, can I use the same package as the H753-EVL active board files but remove only unnecessary pages like ST-Link, FDCAN, audio extension connector, etc.? Also, I remove its netnames from the MCU pins so it works like the Discovery board, as we have did on the F7-DISC0 itself?

Hello,

Do you consider that I didn't already answer that question?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

yes, I got answer from you.,As you mentioned, it's acceptable to use Altium files, but with certain restrictions. If I change the package from its original BGA to LQFP, should I proceed with the same package for custom board replication of the STM32H753EVL-BRD while omitting unnecessary functions? Would this approach lead to a better board?

If I change the package from its original BGA to LQFP, should I proceed with the same package for custom board replication of the STM32H753EVL-BRD while omitting unnecessary functions? Would this approach lead to a better board?

What do you mean by "should I proceed with the same same package"? EVAL has BGA240 and you plan to use LQFP208.

Again, I'm not expert of Altium and how to proceed to change the packages in a schematics but as stated previously you need to take care about the power supplies and GPIOs differences. The die is the same. So if the GPIOs (mainly used to interface memories) are available in LQFP208 so there will be no issues. Also you need to omit all unnecessary function from the schematics this will free up some IOs to add other functions.

So go ahead with your design by taking care about all remarks stated above.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.