cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

guidance for taking forward of custom hw using stm32h743

jr_engr_mbed
Associate III

Hi , As i decided to use h743 lqfp 208 for my application(ECG MACHINE WITH DISPLAY 1080*800-8.88") use of

• ETHERNET
  • FMC for SDRAM
  • QUADSPI
  • SDMMC1
  • USB OTG FS
  • LTDC
  • UART, I2C and SPI

is avoiding that h745or747 dual core is ok? 743 is itself enough right?.or is dual core usage is complicated?

As I'm new to PCB design, I initially followed a video for the STM32H723 MCU in an LQFP144 package. However, I later realized that the GPIOs would not be sufficient for my project. Consequently, I found another video featuring the STM32H743 VIT6 in an LQFP100 package, and I decided to replace all the pins from the H723 with those from an H743 in an LQFP208 package. I have some doubts about this approach. Is it correct to swap the GPIOs and make slight corrections to the crystal circuit, VSS, and VDDs by referring to the schematics for the H743 with 100 pins? Or should I follow the reference schematics for the STM32H743 Discovery board, or can I simply follow the video for the H743 in an LQFP100 package?"

Mixed-Signal Hardware Design Overview | Audio SoM | STM32 & Altium - Phil's Lab #45 (youtube.com)

Screenshot (800).png

Mini 6-Layer Mixed-Signal Hardware Design Walkthrough - Phil's Lab #78 (youtube.com)

Screenshot (801).png

12 REPLIES 12
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@jr_engr_mbed Suggestion of Riverdi was exactly because of your time and experience constraints. Other forum patrons have much more expertise in hardware design. I'm a pure software person. 

The display and graphic library are your main concerns - because they define the kind of required external memories (RAM for display buffer and ROM/flash for GUI resources). LCD and the external memories consume a lot of pins.

The other mentioned things - SPIs, UARTs - are trivial. Every STM32 has these and they are quite trivial to handle.

If you can challenge the requirements for the GUI and reduce the display to, say, a monochrome low-res on SPI interface, you can get rid of external memories as well, and use a lower pin count MCU. /* Instead you could compensate by richer functionality: for example, add USB or a wireless interface to talk to a smartphone or cloud service */

MM..1
Chief II

I still mean your idea 1080x800 with SDRAM is on edge of internal vs external bus load. Maybe over edge.

Read LTDC appnote. Next issue is EMI produced with many lines display and sdram. More effective is DSI and internal ram and this all is in new designed series U5. STM32U5G9J-DK2 - Discovery kit with STM32U5G9ZJT6Q MCU - STMicroelectronics

LCE
Principal

In general: for this project - at least it seems to me - there's no way to keep it really simple.

But it's definitely simpler if you:

a) stay away from dual core

b) in case of doubt, put a little more hardware on the board than might be needed later

For b) I mean especially external RAM:

- FMC with serial RAM is much harder for PCB layout

- QSPI might be not fast enough (I don't know about graphics) 

I recently worked a lot with octal RAM = HyperRAM and OCTOSPI on H735. I use it as data buffer for audio streaming, and it's working absolutely reliable and fast (> 100MB/s) in memory-mapped mode - and that is important to keep it simple. BTW, HyperRAM is relatively cheap.

Unfortunately, some H7s have problems with Quad / Octo SPI in memory-mapped mode, so you better check all info you can get. ST does NOT have a single app note having all the info, I think...