cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure Octospi as a normal Spi interface (Not interfacing with external memory devices)?

MFolk.1
Senior

I am programing the STM32L4S9AII6 using the STM32L4R9I-EVAL board. My application requires the use of 5 different SPI buses, but the STM32L4S9AII6 only has 3 standard SPIs. However, it has 2 Octospi buses that I understand can be configured to be standard SPIs. Is this true or have I been mislead? Can someone shed some light on how to configure an Octospi as a standard full-duplex spi? Preferably using MxCube.

0693W00000LwT9mQAF.png 

More specifically, I want it to be equivalent to this standard SPI configuration:

0693W00000LwTJbQAN.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just read RM0432, section 19.4.3. Instruction, address, alternate are "send to slave only", dummy is nothing at all, data is either "send to slave only" or "read from slave only" (depending on memory-mapped/indirect write or read).

The diagrams below are just for brevity, instead of showing two separate diagrams for both directions, they're combined into one. That's well-known and well-established convention, see e.g. datasheet of MC6821, Fig. 1 Bus timing as of 1985(!!!).

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

>My application requires the use of 5 different SPI buses

What if you put two or more devices on one SPI with different chip selects?

Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

Full-duplex means transmit and receive simultaneously or: data exchange between master and slave.

That is *NOT* possible with OctoSPI (nor QuadSPI). These interfaces a specifially designed for merory accesses, where you've either a read or a write, never both simultaneously.

MFolk.1
Senior

I'm already doing a lot of that. The reason is because I have very strict timing requirements. I might be able to combine more of them, but would much prefer to use the 2 octospi buses if that is possible.

MFolk.1
Senior

Also, not all of the spi busses are configured with the same specs.

Okay, so lets say for some cases I don't care to read & write simultaneously. Is it possible to get it to behave like normal spi otherwise?

MFolk.1
Senior

From the reference manual:

0693W00000LwUHgQAN.png 

So can Octospi transmit/receive simultaneously or not?

0693W00000LwUIAQA3.png

>>So can Octospi transmit/receive simultaneously or not?

You have hardware in front of you, you could test that for yourself surely?

My read of the documentation, diagrams, and supporting software is there isn't a TransmitReceive model here, the data phases are either Read OR Write, not both at once, the FIFO/DR plumbing similarly doesn't seem to accommodate that.

The Single-SPI SO/SI function is one of mapping pins/signals, these are the defined source/sink points, but no wording supporting that they operate concurrently. It's not going to fight data on the SI pin, and you could likely inspect the GPIO, or connect it elsewhere to capture.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
MFolk.1
Senior

I agree with you Tesla. I am at the lab bench to test this for myself, but I'm not making it far as the Octospi HAL API library supplies no such transmit & receive api call.

MFolk.1
Senior

Tesla,

Can you point me to some sort of documentation that states that Octospi Cannot transmit and receive at the same time? I am having a hard time defending this to my team.