cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeIDE "Pinout Compatibles" view listing wrong packages and taking forever - normal?

CanisSomnolentus
Associate III

I just updated CubeIDE to the newest (1.9 ?) version.

Because under Pinout & Configuration, Pinout menu -> List pin compatible MCUs (or similar),

it was stuck at 31% with a CubeIDE version from some months ago with then no CPU load anymore on CubeIDE while it was 99% before I call it "stuck".

The output one could already see, with the old verison, seemed reasonable, though.

Now with the newest version, I am at 50% progress bar for half an hour or so, still high CPU load (but oscillating around 50%, not 99), it shows already around 80'000 devices and most of them with clearly a useless package.

Yes, I did search for "Packages: all" - because I want to get not only exactly the same package, but also different formats with the same number & functions of pins, or perhaps even some with more pins.

But this "at 50% and seemingly not getting forward" view shows a lot of 20-pin MCUs for my project with a 48-pin MCU where every single usable pin is assigned a function.

The "Comment" on those 20-pin MCUs says "HW compatible", which is clearly wrong.

What's going on here, with regards to this wrong filtering, and is it normal that this takes very long after getting to 50% in reasonable-ish time?

(It's on a 4-core i7, some GB of RAM still free, should be adequate. CubeIDE is taking 1.5 GB right now)

Update:It is now stuck at 51 %, i.e. there is no CPU load >= 1% in taskmanager anymore for STM32CubeIDE.

Over 90'000 "compatible" MCUs claimed, are there even that many in ST's portfolio? It sounds order-of-magnitudey-wrong. Is this a bug?

And: when clicking "Stop" while it's running, it does stop. But the "MCU Filters" section remains grayed out. So I cannot change back to filtering for only the same package.

Which means that this function is now completely broken for me - since if you call that function from the Pinout menue, it immediately starts the search with the last set filters! No chance to intervene.

Is there another way to find compatibles? Some online tool perhaps? (although that would not have my needed pin configurations / used peripherals, of course, and thus be far less precise, of course)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello there,

This is a known issue which was first reported in this thread. Please let me know if the description in that thread is similar to the issue you are experiencing.

I wrote a ticket for the problem at that time and looking at its updates a fix seems to be integrated into the next release of STM32CubeIDE which should be in a few days time, very soon!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
CanisSomnolentus
Associate III

I added the "bug-report" tag. This looks like one to me.

Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello there,

This is a known issue which was first reported in this thread. Please let me know if the description in that thread is similar to the issue you are experiencing.

I wrote a ticket for the problem at that time and looking at its updates a fix seems to be integrated into the next release of STM32CubeIDE which should be in a few days time, very soon!

CanisSomnolentus
Associate III

yes, it sounds pretty similar