cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keil vs STM ide

NSemrHomeInit
Senior

Dear ST Hello,

What is the advantage and disadvantage of the Keil and STM ide.

Did you recommend one of them. I want to change the ide and I am in 2 minds,

Thank you in advance,

S.Tarik

34 REPLIES 34

With pleasure,

But forget to mentioned, that CubeIDE free for personal and professional.

on the other hand, KEIL and IAR are not free across all families. you will be a

decent amount of money full version licenses

What I mean by the learning curve, Is that you will need some time to get used to.

I know this by the feedback I receive from my colleagues.

For example, if you want to open a project, first you need to open its workspace then

open the project. You can double click the project and it will be opened automatically and isolated

like KIEL or IAR.

Another Example, if you want to add a file to the project, there is no menu for add exiting file to the project

it is just simple copy and paste.

In my opinion these are pros not cons, but you just need no know it.

If you are not decided yet, here is a list with IDE you can take a look

1. STM32CubeIDE (free)
  2. Atollic TrueStudio(free)
  3. SW4STM32 (free and opensource)
  4. VSCode with PlatformIDE(free)
  5. Segger Embedded Studio(free for personal use) + (Simulator)
  6. KEIL (paid) + (Simulator)
  7. IAR (paid) + (Simulator)

To those it may concern,

External memories is as a real issue in CUBEIDE, while it has been worked on paid compilers! Hope that there will be nice solution in next versions.

BTrem.1
Senior II

I have used both Keil and CubeIDE for about a year. It is true CubeIDE is free but my own personal opinion is Keil is much easier to use and to navigate. Also, I do not like the concept of workspaces. An interesting note, my local ST Senior Product Marketing Engineer strongly suggests using Keil, over CubeIDE or anything else. IMHO, the added expense of a paid tool is quickly made up in your work efficiency.

Thank you very much Mazen for the efforts.

Good list, but not complete. Missing EmBitz - the IDE is absolutely bare metal.

I love EmBitz - it's super compact and just as fast. All childhood sores have been eliminated in the distant past, and new bugs are simply not added. The IDE can run for months without interruption. This means that your project will not be broken due to the IDE or in case of a sudden update. Works without restrictions on code and time.

For a perfect mix, version control system is lacking, I use tortoise - https://tortoisegit.org/.

> I think if it's not free, the company will encourage us to go for something free.

The company should keep in mind that your time is not free either. If you are more productive with Keil, their runtime library, debugger and RTOS - it will pay back nicely.

The paid version also includes support (besides of the community forum).

Keil's IDE & editor looks tired, unfortunately, and not going to improve.

--pa

Also,

Embeetle IDE(free)

@AVI-crak​ What EmBitz uses for debugger? does it support STM32H7 (single core at least)?

-- pa

Pavel A.

For communication with hardware - STLink 2, 2.1, 3.0, and everything else is standard. The debugger is your own EBlink https://www.embitz.org/forum/index.php - by the way it works fast.

Hi @Vahid Ajallooeian​ , feel free to elaborate on the external memory issue. Maybe I should not derail this topic, so point me to another post if such already exist or drop me a PM. External memory should work providing that you have a working stldr-file for your configuration...