cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 FDCAN FiFo receives wrong values sometimes

julred
Associate II

Dear all,

i have a custom pcb with a STM32H753XIHx.

I want to use CAN1 Interface to receive PDO and SDOs (Baudrate: 125k, CANopen).
My receive routine looks like this:

// CAN 1 receive interrupt callback
void HAL_FDCAN_RxFifo0Callback(FDCAN_HandleTypeDef *hfdcan, uint32_t RxFifo0ITs)
{
// static allocation saves instantiation time during interrupt
static struct canMsg *rxmsg = NULL;
static FDCAN_RxHeaderTypeDef rxheader;
char temp = 0;

if(hfdcan == &hfdcan1)
{

// CAN element available ?
  if ( FREE_EMPTY() == 0 )
  {
    // Element aus freeRx-Puffer holen
    if((rxmsg = FREE_PULL())!= NULL )
{
// retrieve rx message from fifo 
if( HAL_FDCAN_GetRxMessage(hfdcan, FDCAN_RX_FIFO0, &rxheader, (uint8_t*) rxmsg->Data.Values.c ) == HAL_OK )
{

The received CAN message payload will be stored inside rxmsg->Data.Values.c[].
I send static SDO messages to the pcb:
0x43 0x10 0x20 0x01 0x08 0x00 0x00 0x00
But from time to time, the payload is corrupted (e.g. everything filled with 0x00) like:
0x43 0x10 0x20 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Please find attached my ioc configuration.

Please let me know if i need to optimize something in ioc file to receive can messages completely correct.

Thank you very much

5 REPLIES 5
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello and welcome to the community.

You didn't attach the ioc file but just a screenshot of a part of FDCAN peripheral config and I don't think it's helpful.

Could you please share your ioc file?

Are you sure rxmsg->Data.Values.c is not overwritten by something else like DMA for example?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello,

please find attached the complete project ioc file.

How can I verfiy/proof that rxmsg will not be affected by DMA?

Hello,

Looking at your ioc file, I don't see issues with neither your clock source of FDCAN nor the FDCAN bitrate config. Meanwhile, I prefer to be sure there is no issue with the sampling of the CAN bit: 

I used this site http://www.bittiming.can-wiki.info/ to fit your needs as you're using CANopen:

SofLit_1-1718373588523.png

Bitrate is 125kb/s and the sample point is selected to be at 87.5 % as indicated.SofLit_0-1718373419189.png

So the prescaler = 4, SEG1 = 139 and SEG2 = 20.

I prefer to select the lowest prescaler value with highest SEG1/SEG2 values (for a best bit sampling resolution) fitting a given sample point:

SofLit_2-1718373890674.png

Regarding your question about DMA, are you already using it? to verify if rxmsg is affected by DMA, disable CAN reception, set rxmsg to a random value and see if it will change over time. Note that it could be also the CPU itself overwriting your data.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you for your feedback.

But from my point of view, the prescaler/timing settings shall not effect my problems:

I assume, that the CAN Hardware interface will receive a valid CANopen message and validate each message by unique CRC of each CAN message. If it's not valid -> message will be thrown away. If it's valid -> message will be put into FiFo which will be available inside CAN Callback function.

So normally I would be able to receive only valid can messages. 

Actually I have CAN1 and CAN2 Interface both on Fifo0 - but I only have traffic on CAN1 - will this be an issue?

Any further suggestions?

Hello,

But from my point of view, the prescaler/timing settings shall not effect my problems:

I assume, that the CAN Hardware interface will receive a valid CANopen message and validate each message by unique CRC of each CAN message. If it's not valid -> message will be thrown away. If it's valid -> message will be put into FiFo which will be available inside CAN Callback function.

I know..  but who knows?

Also you didn't confirm about my previous check about data overwrite? did you check that point?

Actually I have CAN1 and CAN2 Interface both on Fifo0 - but I only have traffic on CAN1 - will this be an issue?

I don't think so .. but to double check, could you please disable CAN2 and see what happens?