cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H743XIH6 Crystal Frequency

chand_p
Associate II

Hi ST Support Team,

I am Using STM32H743XIH6 in one of the project.

Having Query related to crystal frequency.

In datasheet frequency characteristics is provided for oscillator input.

In my Design and STM32H743XIH6 Evaluation Board crystal is implemented.

My Design contains 48Mhz Crystal while EVM contains 25Mhz crystal.

Kindly go through the attached schematic capture of developed board waveform capture at PH0-OSC_IN pin.

Getting same waveform as per Evaluation Kit (Find Attached EVM waveform)

Hope waveform we observed will specify the MCU clock requirement in terms of rise time, fall time, VIH & VIL level.

want to make sure that there is no issue in MCU Clock using external 48 Mhz crystal implementation.
in 25 Mhz & 48 Mhz crystal maximum amplitude is going at 1.8V and MCU operating at 3.3V level.
Hoping that the clock at OSC_PIN is satisfying MCU operating level.

Thanks,

14 REPLIES 14
LCE
Principal

Check the datasheet, for H733 its is:

6.3.9  External clock source characteristics
High-speed external user clock generated from an external source

fHSE_ext User external clock source frequency max 50 MHz

Hi LCE,

After Referring the H733, 6.3.9.

Found, maximum Low Level of Clock need to be 0.3*VDD (= 0.7*3.3 = 0.99), in my case & in EVM it is ~1.2V
For Minimum High Level of clock need to be 0.7*VDD (= 0.7 *3.3 = 2.31), in my case & in EVM it is ~1.8V.

So considering datasheet parameter for both board not maintaining required level, correct?

Can you help me to get resolution on above concern?

Thanks..

TDK
Guru

Max external crystal frequency is 48 MHz, which yours meets. You should have load capacitors loaded.

TDK_0-1707397934652.png

The waveform looks fine.

See here for crystal selection design guide:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an2867-oscillator-design-guide-for-stm8afals-stm32-mcus-and-mpus-stmicroelectronics.pdf

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi TDK,

Crystal having 8 pF load capacitance, added 8 pF capacitor at both pins and getting same result as without load capacitance.

Do need to check with other value of load capacitance?

Attaching snap for your reference.

Thanks..

chand_p
Associate II

Hi
Find attached snap, ignore previous one..

Thanks,

8pF load Capacitance 48Mhz Crystal.jpg

I imagine the capacitance of your scope is distorting things as well.

> Crystal having 8 pF load capacitance, added 8 pF capacitor at both pins and getting same result as without load capacitance.

Just because it works doesn't mean it will continue to do so. Follow the recommendations to have the best chance of success. A little surprised it's working at all without any load caps.

Don't mix up specifications for the external clock input with specifications for the external crystal.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi TDK,

We kept Load Capacitance Open due to STM32 10pF Load capacitance.

STM32 Capacitance matching Load capacitance requirement for crystal.

Thanks,

> STM32 10pF Load capacitance.

Where are you getting this from?

The required load caps on a CL=8pF crystal should be about 2 * 8 pF - 6 pF = 10pF.

chand_p
Associate II

Hi TDK,

Referring to attached snap considering STM32 10pF load capacitance.

chand_p_0-1707449984685.png

Thanks,