cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H747I-DISCO board is not reliable.

ramkumarkoppu
Associate III

On the first power on, Graphical demo ran. After running GPIO example program provided in the STM32H7 FW package, IAR complains that No STM32 MCU detected. Same issue with the STM32CubeProgrammer tool. Why is this board is difficult to work compare to other ST boards?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

>>Why is this board is difficult to work compare to other ST boards?

Because the chip remembers things about the SMPS vs LDO, and VOS settings across power cycles?

The method I used to recover mine was to strap the BOOT0 input high for a couple of power cycles, and then erased the user code.

Then you need to be sure have the right code in SystemClock_Config()

/*!< Supply configuration update enable */
  HAL_PWREx_ConfigSupply(PWR_DIRECT_SMPS_SUPPLY);

/* The voltage scaling allows optimizing the power consumption when the device is
     clocked below the maximum system frequency, to update the voltage scaling value
     regarding system frequency refer to product datasheet.  */
  __HAL_PWR_VOLTAGESCALING_CONFIG(PWR_REGULATOR_VOLTAGE_SCALE1);

while(!__HAL_PWR_GET_FLAG(PWR_FLAG_VOSRDY)) {}

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

>>Why is this board is difficult to work compare to other ST boards?

Because the chip remembers things about the SMPS vs LDO, and VOS settings across power cycles?

The method I used to recover mine was to strap the BOOT0 input high for a couple of power cycles, and then erased the user code.

Then you need to be sure have the right code in SystemClock_Config()

/*!< Supply configuration update enable */
  HAL_PWREx_ConfigSupply(PWR_DIRECT_SMPS_SUPPLY);

/* The voltage scaling allows optimizing the power consumption when the device is
     clocked below the maximum system frequency, to update the voltage scaling value
     regarding system frequency refer to product datasheet.  */
  __HAL_PWR_VOLTAGESCALING_CONFIG(PWR_REGULATOR_VOLTAGE_SCALE1);

while(!__HAL_PWR_GET_FLAG(PWR_FLAG_VOSRDY)) {}

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BL7SnASQV/stlink-problems-with-stm32h745idisco

ramkumarkoppu
Associate III

Thanks Clive. The issue was as per the section 5.2.3 of the STM32H747I-DISCO board user manual, the default configuration of the hardware is to use SMPS mode but the default mode generated by STMCubeMX when you select STM32H747I-DISCO board is LDO. Because of this mismatch, the board is bricked.

ST should have used the same power supply configuration in both the hardware board and default CubeMX configuration.

Hello,

Please note that the default configuration on LDO mode for SMPS boards with the STM32CubeMX generated code will be fixed on the next version (5.4.0) that will be available soon on the web.

Sorry for any inconvenience this created for you.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.