cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't STM32G0 series contain any EEPROM?

YFuku.3
Associate III

I'm using STM32L0 series which contain EEPROM. I'm thinking of replace it with STM32G0 series. As long as I read STM32G0 series docs, there is not EEPROM. Is this true?

6 REPLIES 6

Right, there is no EEPROM in G0 series. You can use a flash page (or several pages) to emulate it.

Danish1
Lead II

It is possible to store temporary values in FLASH. You need to allocate at least two FLASH pages to it (i.e. 4kBytes) and things get inefficient if you try to store more information than fits in 30% of what you allocated. See ST Application note AN3969 "EEPROM emulation in STM32F40x/STM32F41x microcontrollers".

STM32G0 is a "cost-effective" range of microcontrollers. As such, anything that significantly adds to the cost but many users can get by without is likely to be omitted. I believe EEPROM is a non-standard technology which would need extra process steps and so add to the cost. This would be a marketing decision by ST so I don't expect anyone in this forum would be able to say one way or the other - (unless an STM32G0 with EEPROM is found.)

Hope this helps,

Danish

YFuku.3
Associate III

Thanks. I'll check Application note AN3969 "EEPROM emulation in STM32F40x/STM32F41x microcontrollers"

YFuku.3
Associate III

I haven't used flash page func. Which is more common tool to store a few but important parameters, EEPROM or FLASH page?

JAN R
Associate III

Does the ST plan make any library for EEPROM emulation for this series STM32Gxx? Or some extension outgoing from CubeMX?

Thanks.

@YFuku.3​ and @JAN R​ , just a heads-up, now ST has a library for the G0:

https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/x-cube-eeprom.html

and AN4894 Rev.3 (can be found in the page above)