cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect ST-LINK/V2 ISOL

Kirsi Ratinen
Associate II
Posted on October 03, 2017 at 08:58

I'm trying to connect new ISOL version debugger to a device I have been debugging with the old ST-LINK. I do not have 20-pin JTAG on my device (small battery operated STM32L100) and I try to get only 3V3, GND, SWDIO and SWCLK connected. My problem is that the ten pin cable provided with the debugger fits to ST-LINK only one way and the User manual UM1075has a table 4.2 Connection with STM32 applications which suggests the pins would be 1, 20, 7 and 9 in the same order. Then again Figure 10. JTAG debugging flat ribbon layout shows that I should but the connector on the row where it doesn't fit because of the polarity pin. Which information do I trust now (and why would the 10 pin connector be fitted on the row that has only VCC and GND on it?) Anyone have a picture of the actual ST-LINK with the 4 wires connected?

#st-link-isol-pinout
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kirsi Ratinen
Associate II
Posted on October 03, 2017 at 20:55

Got this working now.  Needed to connect 1, 3, 7, 9, 13 and 20 pins from JTAG to get this working.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Kirsi Ratinen
Associate II
Posted on October 03, 2017 at 14:38

OK, I figured out the pinout hopefully. The Jtag pinout seems to be correct Ijust took the 10 pin wire into pieces.

Now I still get stuck with output like this:

'STLINK GDB Server (EmBitz Dec 8 2016 12:12:38)

Shutdown after disconnect is active.

Connected to STlink/V2 probe at 001:036

Chip ID is 00000429, Core ID is 2ba01477.

Target voltage: 2.15

Debugging enabled for all CPU modes.

Number of HW-breakpoints: 0

Listening at *:4242...

GDB connected.'

Well the voltage is 3,2V volts when measured  from the board only, so the debugger is still 

not correctly connected. It seems to be loading the  device, the led on debugger is just blinking all the time.

Any ideas? 

Kirsi Ratinen
Associate II
Posted on October 03, 2017 at 20:55

Got this working now.  Needed to connect 1, 3, 7, 9, 13 and 20 pins from JTAG to get this working.

Posted on January 15, 2018 at 16:54

I have just got a v2-Isol and have similar problems.

I have target cables wired to the 20 way connector, using pins 1, 7,8,9,15. Worked find for years with an standard stlink v2. Swapping to the -Isol and it fails to connect to target. 

I noticed you use 3 for reset (I use 15) and 13 for SWO which I do not use. Did you find that specific combination necessary?

I really don't want to modify all my target cables just to use a -Isol unit.........

Posted on January 15, 2018 at 18:08

A update, I have just used jumpers to test this out. Connected via swd stlink I find that I can use:

1: Vcc

7: SWDIO

9: SWCLK

15: NRST

For the standard STLink I can use any of the grounds but on the -ISol it will only connect if I use 10,12,14,18 or 20.

Tested on a F303RE (on a custom board) if it matters. Also tested on two STlink/V2-ISol adapters.

Maybe  have missed something but I read the user guide 3 times and still can't find any reference to this fundamental difference between the two units. So that is two hours of my time I will not get paid for

:(

DPLAS
Associate

Plaese find below working cables connections for STlink/V2 ISOL:

• 1  TVCC
  • 7 SWDIO
  • 9 SW CLK
  • 15 NRST
  • 16 GND

I confirm that pin 4 is not working for GND​.

You need to supply the target separately.

Thank you!

I use /V2 ISOL and I tried first to connect GND with pin 16, which is outpinned, so it cannot work! I didn't realize that I connected GND to the outpinned. This is also not mentioned in the documentation: "3. At least one of this pin must be connected to the ground for correct behavior (connecting all of them is recommended)." (UM1075)

ST, can you update the ST-LINK user manual with the particularities of the ST-LINK/V2 ISOL?

Best regards

Christoph