cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why STM32CubeMX failed to generate a project for STM32CubeIDE?

MShak
Associate II

29 REPLIES 29

​Hello @markof9f​ 

Please try with STM32CubeMX V 5.4.0.

Best regards,

Nesrine

FYI for you guys, I was able to fix this issue by installing java 64-bit runtime (as opposed to 32 bit). If your Cube IDE is complaining about a Java version, that could be it.

GAusf.1
Associate II

​Hello. I've installed the latest CubeMX and CubeIDE versions, 5.5.0 and 1.2.0 respectively and I have the same issue. If I use MX to generate a CubeIDE project, it says the same error message as indicated in other posts above, "Toolchain Settings: Please install STM32Cube IDE toolchain to open the project. Or associate the file type of the project with your Toolchain in System Default Program Settings." Should I revert back to 5.4.0 for CubeMX to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Gabe

Do you have both .project and .cproject files generated?

Only a .mxproject and .ioc file ​is created. I don't see any .project or .cproject. If I use the IDE to create the .ioc, I am unable to point the project to the correct firmware location, so I can't win in that direction either.

markof9f
Associate II

I just tried to generate a STM32CubeIDE project from STM32CubeMX v5.5.0 and it doesn't work. Files .project and .cproject are missing again. That was the problem in STM32CubeMX version 5.3.0, they corrected it in version 5.4.0 but apparently it is back in 5.5.0. We should report it as a bug and hopefully they will fix it again in some future version.

Try uninstalling and installing again CubeMX v5.5.0, that worked for me. After a complete uninstall and fresh install it started generating .project and .cproject files. Hope it helps and let me know if that worked for you.

​I will try this. Should I also uninstall and reinstall CubeIDE or just CubeMX? Maybe the issue was that I installed CubeMX before I installed CubeIDE originally?

markof9f
Associate II

It can be, but I don't think CubeIDE matters. I tried without CubeIDE installed and after that I tried with CubeIDE v1.2.0 and v1.2.1, and it always worked. The problem was present only when I upgraded STM32CubeMX from v5.4.0 to v5.5.0. I did upgrade on two computers, and on both it stopped generating .project and .cproject files, but when I did a clean install of STM32CubeMX v5.5.0 (downloaded from ST website) everything worked well, with or without STM32CubeIDE. My guess is that it has something to do with mismatch of 32-bit and 64-bit versions. My old (upgraded) CubeMX was 32-bit program installed in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics' folder, but the new one (fresh install) is 64-bit version installed in 'C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics'.

I uninstalled both STM32CubeMX and STM32CubeIDE, then I manually deleted 'STMicroelectronics' folder in both 'C:\Program Files (x86)' and 'C:\Program Files' and performed new install of both programs. After that I have them both in 'C:\Program Files' and everything seem to work Ok. I am not sure if my assumption is correct and I don't know if this works for everyone, but it worked for me.

GAusf.1
Associate II

Thanks markof, ​I got it to work. I followed your steps and once I got the 64-bit version of MX, I was successful at creating the .project. Strangely, I had to try a couple of times until it worked. Now that I have the IDE project setup, when I update the MX file with new pinouts, configs, etc., I can easily generate the code and port it over to the IDE. Thanks again for your help.

Gabe