cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using IKS4A1 with IDB05A2

TonyKhoshaba
Associate II

I am trying to use IKS4A1 with IDB05A2 together with F446RE.
Each of these expansion boards works fine with F446RE. However, when I try to use STM32CubeMX to create a combined project, I cannot add the BLE1_applications. 

I assume this configuration should work so I can use MEMS data over a BLE1. Is my assumption correct?

If yes, then what is the best way to solve my issue in STM32CubeMX?

9 REPLIES 9
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @TonyKhoshaba ,

You can refer to the BLE application within X-CUBE-BLE1.

This application shows how to implement proprietary BLE profiles and runs on STM32 Nucleo boards with X-NUCLEO-IDB05A2 STM32 expansion board.

Video: Getting Started with X-CUBE-BLE1

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@TonyKhoshaba wrote:

when I try to use STM32CubeMX to create a combined project, I cannot add the BLE1_applications. 

Why not - do you get an error message from CubeMX? In the software build? Something else??

You need to give full details:

https://community.st.com/t5/community-guidelines/how-to-write-your-question-to-maximize-your-chances-to-find-a/ta-p/575228 

@TonyKhoshaba wrote:

I assume this configuration should work

On what basis do you assume that?

Have you checked the board pinout definitions and/or schematics?

Maybe they have pin conflicts ... ?

Note that when I run BLE1 with without adding MEMS1 board it works fine. 

When I try to add BLE1 and MEMS1 data logging application, CubeMX does not allow me to add IKS4A1. 

I do not know if this is just not possible, or it is because of pin conflict. I am very new to ST world so do not know the root cause yet. I was expecting stacking up ST expansion boards to be a bit easier and straight forward.

Currently considering using eval boards like STM32WBA which have integrated wireless feature (without expansion board) and maybe this will solve my issue.

But I rather root cause the issue of stacking the two expansion boards rather than changing the main eval board.

Hopefully ST can provide a suggested pin configuration that I can use.

Running NUCLEO-IDB05A2 alone is not an issue. I can even see the simulated MEMS data in the iPhone app.

The problem is I cannot add IKS4A1 with IDB05A2 in the same CubeMX project and do not know the root cause? Is it the pin conflict and if yes what is the alternative configuration etc.

@TonyKhoshaba wrote:

CubeMX does not allow me to add IKS4A1. 

Does it not give you any message or anything to say why?

You can check for pin conflicts by looking at the documentation for the boards. Also, look at the pin assignments that CubeMX uses when you use the boards separately.

@TonyKhoshaba wrote:

I was expecting stacking up ST expansion boards to be a bit easier and straight forward..

It's just the same as stacking up Arduino shields - you have to check that the ones you're stacking don't have pin conflicts.

It isn't that obvious.

When I try to add the IKS board apps in CubeMX they are disabled and not available.

I am hoping ST can suggest a pin configuration when you combine these two extension boards.

@TonyKhoshaba wrote:

When I try to add the IKS board apps in CubeMX they are disabled and not available.

Describe the exact steps you take to get to that point; Show a screenshot(s) of what you're seeing.

https://community.st.com/t5/community-guidelines/how-to-write-your-question-to-maximize-your-chances-to-find-a/ta-p/575228

The attached are the pin configurations for using two expansion boards separately. I think the pin conflicts seems to be PB3, PA5.

PA2 and PA3 might be fine but I am not sure.

To be more specific when I try to create the combined CubeMX file, it does not let select BLE1 applications.

See attached.