cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FATFS Middleware for STM32U5 MCUs

jacopokunak
Associate III

Hi,

I would like to create a project with CubeMX where I handle files on a SD card with FAT Fs file system using a STM32U5 mcu.

When I select the STM32U5 MCU in CubeMX  the FATFS middleware is not available, while If I select other MCUs series like STM32F for example the FATFS Middleware is available.

I tried to find the FATFS software package to manually install it into CubeMX but I haven't found nothing.

Is FATFS middleware available for STM32US MCUs for CubeMX ?

Thanks for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
Mahmoud Ben Romdhane
ST Employee

Hello @jacopokunak ,

First let me thank you for posting and welcome to the ST Community.

I suggest please that you provide the STM32CubeMX version.

Thanks.

Mahmoud.

Hi,

It's CubeMX 6.11.0.

Thank you @Andrew Neil for linking that post.

From that discussion it seems like there is no intention from ST to support FATFS Middleware for STM32U5 MCUs in CubeMX at all am I right ? 

If we want to use FATFS we need to get the source code from https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/stm32_mw_fatfs/tree/master  include it in our projects and configure it manually ?

I do not want to use FileX in my project since it doesn't need to run with RTOS.

Hello @jacopokunak ,

In the STM32CubeU5 firmware, the file system has been migrated from FATFS to FileX.

I suggest that you to take a look at this POST in order to know more about it.

It demonstrates also how to develop a basic SD card file operations application.

Thanks. 

@jacopokunak wrote:

I do not want to use FileX in my project since it doesn't need to run with RTOS.

@Mahmoud Ben Romdhane does FileX require the use of the Azure® RTOS, or can it be used standalone?

It requires the use of AzureRTOS.

@Mahmoud Ben Romdhane wrote:

In the STM32CubeU5 firmware, the file system has been migrated from FATFS to FileX.

I suggest that you to take a look at this POST in order to know more about it.

Following the FAQ link from that page, I got to this:

AndrewNeil_0-1712314271945.png

It's not very helpful to say, "refer to the relative ST Wiki page to get more information" when none of those Wiki pages exists!