cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ST-link detected - problem when HP thunderbolt 3 dock station is connected

rutrap
Associate II

Hello, I know what the problem is but I can't solve it.
Hardware: HP Zbook G3 Workstation + HP Thunderbolt 3 dock station like thi one:

thundebolt3dockjpg.jpg

When I am connected to the station, an error occurs: No ST-link detected! Please connect ST-LINK and restart debug session. Without the docking station it works normally. The problem is the HP docking station and probably something with the ports. Has anyone encountered a similar problem and know how to solve it?

14 REPLIES 14

@rutrap wrote:

@Pavel A. wrote:

Is the "virtual disk drive" function enabled on the ST-Link?

Where can I find this option in CUBE IDE? 

When connecting the nucleo board via the USB port, a file explorer starts with a folder with some content, is that what it's about?

I don't think it's in the IDE but, as @Tesla DeLorean said, it is in the ST-Link firmware updater - see:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/question-can-i-disable-the-nucleo-onboard-stlink-mass-storage/m-p/464705

I turned off mass storage as it was in the guide and it works. Thank you very much 😉

You've marked this as The Solution - does that mean disabling the mass-storage has fixed you issue? or a firmware update?

EDIT

I see you've now answered that question - thanks!

It is very odd that the mass-storage should stop the debugging working, though ...

If you re-enable MSC, does it still work? ie, was it the FW update rather than the MSC which fixed the issue?

@Andrew Neil wrote:

You've marked this as The Solution - does that mean disabling the mass-storage has fixed you issue? or a firmware update?

EDIT

I see you've now answered that question - thanks!

It is very odd that the mass-storage should stop the debugging working, though ...

If you re-enable MSC, does it still work? ie, was it the FW update rather than the MSC which fixed the issue?

Yes, if i re-enable MSC it still works. 

It's strange, I tried to update the firmware and it didn't help.

I've connected a Nucleo and a new ST-LinkV3 to a Dell laptop with a similar thunderbolt dock. This PC is not used for STM32 projects, no ST software or drivers are installed there.

All composite functions of ST-LINK are detected. Plugged either into local USB port of the laptop or USB ports on the TB dock.

But there's one anomaly: ST-LINKs with MSC function plugged into port on the TB dock take much longer time to appear in the dev. manager. I'm not sure why. It can be caused by Dell UCM/UCSI software or antivirus triggered by the virtual USB disk.