cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Rollback to older version of FW detected and not allowed! + upgrade steos

od805
Associate III

I am trying to perform a firmware upgrade but I keep receiving an error message Error: Rollback to older version of FW detected and not allowed! 

Is there a way to get around this error? I have added a photo of the stm programmer page. 

Additionally - can someone please confirm the order of performing an update? Should it be as follows?

Upgrade with stm32wb5x_FUS_fw_for_fus_0_5_3.bin

Upgrade with stm32wb5x_FUS_fw.bin

Upgrade with (in my case): stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin

Can I just jump to upgrading with stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin without the previous two? Thanks a lot as this is really quite the challenge for me currently.

od805_0-1705982779887.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In this case the stack reference version is considered as 0xFFFFFFFF (while no stack installed and anti-rollback is activated), so no firmware update is allowed after that, and no recovery is possible at this point.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @od805 

I think you have activated the Anti-rollback without ensuring that a wireless stack is correctly installed. If so, the FUS registers 0xFFFFFFFF as the new version, and it is not possible to install a wireless stack. For more details about Anti-rollback activation, I suggest you take a look at the part 2.4 of the AN5185.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

_Joe_
ST Employee

Hi,

On this wiki page STM32WB_FUS , you will find a detailed manual about the FUS (4/ FUS activation and upgrade): 

Can you test if this resolves your problem?
If not, don't hesitate to come back to me and let me know where you are stuck.

BR, Joé.

So if this is the case is this board no longer usable? 

In this case the stack reference version is considered as 0xFFFFFFFF (while no stack installed and anti-rollback is activated), so no firmware update is allowed after that, and no recovery is possible at this point.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

OK Thanks for that. 

Trying to work on a new board and running into this error when installing stm32wb5x_FUS_fw_for_fus_0_5_3.bin

od805_0-1706127968474.png

I know the documents may outline how to navigate this but I would greatly appreciate how to fix this error from experts instead of reading the documents(s).

Please advise.

If the original FW version, is not the 0.5.3, then you have to use directly the stm32wb5x_FUS_fw.bin. Try a full chip erase. Then, try firmware upgrade using the stm32wb5x_FUS_fw.bin and following this Wiki.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

Hi again,

I tried doing the following:

Install  stm32wb5x_FUS_fw.bin.

Install stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_full_fw.bin

I am wondering why my custom BLE_HeartRate code in STMIDe does not work when I upload to the MCU?

The original BLE_HeartRate code works as well as BLE_BloodPressure. My code is using a blend of BLE_HeartRate and BLE_Sensor (from discovery kit) because of BLE_Sensor's P2P capabilities. 

I think primarily the issue is the BLE_Sensor example does not work. Why is this??? Again, BLE_BloodPressure and HeartRate does work... 

This is not the case for my other previously flashed boards. I am using a STM32WB5MMGH6TR (same MCU associated with DK)  MCU on my custom PCB. Please advise as I am quite confused on the matter... 

Hello

I suggest you to close this post since the original question is answered. And open a new post with a full description of the new request.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32