cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi All, I need to transfer 24 bit of data through STM 32 SPI , the challenge is that the IP only allow to transfer 8 or 16 bit of data .

RSree.1
Associate II

Things that have tried.

1. Used the GPIO as chip select . In this configuration , the width of chip selected pulse is more than expected. ( Attached oscilloscope short for your reference ).

Kindly requesting to sent the procedure or sample code to sent 24 bit of data through STM32 SPI

14 REPLIES 14
TDK
Guru

Send 8 bits of data 3 times in succession. That will give you 24 bits of data. On some families, you can send 24 bits in a single operation.

If you want super tight timing of the CS line, you can make your own SPI driver. HAL has a lot of overhead. You can also compile on higher optimization levels. But CS being low for longer poses no problems for communication.

Include your chip number in your post.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

What STM32?

And what system clock? It seems to me that even with Cube/HAL, 20us-60us between setting GPIO and any other action is too much.

As TDK said, get rid of Cube and switch on optimization.

JW

RSree.1
Associate II

Hi All,

Really thanks for your quick response ,please find the inline answers.

>>Include your chip number in your post.

STM32F746IGTx

LQFP176

The SPI interface chip is ADAR 1000.

https://www.analog.com/en/products/adar1000.html

>> And what system clock?

Internal 16 Mhz clock , attached screen shot for the clock configuration.

So with my understanding from the above reply .

1. it is not possible to generate a 24 bit of data through the SPI IP ( Attached IP setting) and require to write own SPI logic ?

>> If the answer is yes , any example is available for reference ?

1. Can I use the SPI DMA function (HAL_SPI_Transmit_DMA(hspi, pData, Size) ), for this requirement .

Lastly apology , if I am asking silly question as I am new to STM32 Microcontroller.

Regards,

Rs

RSree.1
Associate II

TDK
Guru

Sending 3 8-bit bytes adds up to 24 bits. There is no functional difference between a single 24-bit write and 3x8-bit writes.

The F7 has a 32-bit TXFIFO which can buffer the 3 bytes immediately without having to wait for data to be shifted out.

You can use DMA if you want, but it's not necessary.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
RSree.1
Associate II

Hi ,

Please find the inline answers.

>>Sending 3 8-bit bytes adds up to 24 bits. There is no functional difference between a single 24-bit write and 3x8-bit writes.

When sending 3 8 bits, the chip select is asserted for two times ( attached screen shot ) , so my peripheral chip is assuming a different SPI cycle during the assertion of each chip select. That is the problem, I am facing

TDK
Guru

Looks like you're using NSSP mode.

Manage CS as a GPIO output and toggle it manually.

RSree.1
Associate II

Hi ,

Thanks for the answer. Please find the inline answers.

>>Looks like you're using NSSP mode.

Yes , the screenshot provided is in NSSP mode.

>>Manage CS as a GPIO output and toggle it manually.

Yes , I have tried to toggle manually . But the issue is that the CS to assert is taking long time. Attached the screen shot for reference .

Any idea how to reduce the assertion time ?

The code I was using given below.

HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_4, GPIO_PIN_SET);

HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_4, GPIO_PIN_RESET);

HAL_SPI_Transmit(&hspi1,(uint8_t *) &EEPROM_WRDI , 1, 100);

HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_4, GPIO_PIN_SET);

Really glad for your help.

TDK
Guru

> Any idea how to reduce the assertion time ?

Use your own code driver instead of HAL, or increase optimization level and/or clock frequency.

If you want the convenience of HAL, you live with its drawbacks.