cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 STM32 Wish List

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Dear Community Members & STM32 fans,

Let’s end 2018 thanking you for your involvement in our Community and wishing you all the best for 2019!

0690X000006CwKbQAK.jpg

As already done in 2017 (https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009bLPmvSAG) and in 2018 (https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009bLSAKSA4), we open this space to hear from you.

This is an opportunity for us to evaluate what we deliver as offer and to know your expectations.

If we come back to the STM32 portfolio end of last year, it was like this:

0690X000006CwKgQAK.png

Now the image is getting larger with new products as well as ecosystem components:

0690X000006CwKlQAK.jpg

Compared to the wishes you shared previous years, we weren’t able to answer all proposals for sure, but may be some of our solutions met what you looked for. Like for example: delivering .ioc file in the STM32Cube package which we started with STM32G0...

Either you are a follower of the STM32 history as well as the Community updates, or a new member in this space, would you mind share with us your feedback answering the following 3 questions:

• What shouldn’t be done (don’t say migration to new Community platform or new CubeMX interface (because both of them will be improved)?
  • What you appreciate the most as STM32 related offer?
  • What do you expect/suggest related to the STM32 and its ecosystem?

All together, keep UP our STM32 Community!

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

171 REPLIES 171

What browser do you use? I use Chrome on Windows and when I middle mouse button click on a post it opens it in a new tab.

In Internet Explorer the middle button opens it in the same window. This is the only site I use where this behavior is observed.

In FireFox, it opens in a new tab.

... And working without 200MBytes of JAVA crapware !!

rnone
Associate II

Better support for older programmers (those using arm-gcc cross-compilers, vim/ctags/cscope and make/game). Ie: provide linker scripts and makefiles with example softwares.

Internet explorer is well, dinosaur compared to other browser, basically abandoned by it's developer's allready, it's time to move for edge if chrome/Firefox or other 3rd party browsers are not for you.

Please continue supporting STLink-Utility.

There are many reasons for this.

It sure has its quirks and errors, but is a relatively mature and stable program.

Other reason is, that it's conservative user interface is much more usable and learnable than the funky and surprising "modern look and feel" of the CubeProgrammer.

Other is support of STLink-V1, which is not supported in CubeProgrammer. STLink-V1 among other things is part of https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32vldiscovery.html , which is an active product widely available at the distributors, and also in large number on users' shells.

JW

This reply by an ST employee is crazy. He would sell a car without the engine but extol virtues of the corinthian leather seats.

Well, my post deserves some explanations, then.

Asantos added in the wish list a quite specific product, complementing the STM32F334, early February. We announced the STM32G4 few months later , and most of the expected features are here:

• Aiming at motor control and digital power applications (specific set of peripherals)
  • Higher performance plus acceleration: Cortex-M4 at 170MHz (vs 72MHz) , new FMAC and CORDIC accelerators
  • High-resolution timer (HRTIM) with better accuracy (184ps)
  • 4 quadrature encoder, plus index processing (this is new on STM32 timers)
  • Seven 17ns comparators, each with 12-bit DAC
  • Five 4MSps ADCs    

It’s true that there’s no Ethernet, but this is not a usual feature for such an application specific product, and eventually a dual MCU approach would be preferable. Last, Ethernet was presented as an “option�?, this is why I dare mentioning the STM32G4. I hope this will sound (a bit) less crazy. 🙂

Best regards,

Vincent

Hi @Vincent Onde​  ,

So, does the 'G4 family come with dozens of appnotes per feature you've listed? With examples written in clear and concise C (i.e. not the Cube mess)?

If not, chalk it up to the wishlist.

JW

SECONDED !!!

And after that please do the same for the F7 and H7 series, especially for the audio interfaces and DSP functions as any overhead due to Cube simply isn't acceptable to these applications.