cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help starting testing STM32H747I-DISCO on MacOS / Apple Silicon

walterg
Associate III

Hello,

I've just received my fresh new SMT32H747I-DISCO dev board and I wanted to try some samples.

I have some experience deveolping on embedded Liuxes, but this is my second MCU (the first one was a Raspberry PICO, don't know if this counts). I am using a MacBookPro with Apple silicon (M3) and MacOS 14.4

What I have done:

read the specs, configured the board to get power and STLink from CN2 (as is by factory)

installed every tool available:

• STM32CubeProgrammer
  • STM32CubeIDE (which also installed a SMTLink server nstall ,st-stlink-server.2.1.1-2, installed successfully ) 
  • even STM32CubeMX

connected the board to a USB-C port on my Mac via a USB-C to USB-B mini cable

2 times out of three the main led (LD10?) starts red, then flashes red/green then stays green. The other times the board LED stays red. In either case, nothing on the LCD display. to me the board seems waiting.

On the former occurrences, MacOS then asks me for permission to connect

but that's it. I wanted to install the Tutti Fruit  demo  (whose binary I downlaoded) but the first thing is to "connect" STM32CubeProgrammer to the board, and I cannot. When I press the green Connect button in the top right area (whtth this config), i got

walterg_0-1716221670195.png

18:13:44 : ST-LINK error (DEV_CONNECT_ERR)
18:13:44 : Error: Problem occured while trying to connect

I've tried to search the internet and this board, but I don't seem to do anything particular (a part from running on a Mac with M3). So I don't know if this is blocking or what.

Or maybe I need to connect in another way? 

Thanks for any help on this newbie question,

best regards

WG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FBL
ST Employee

Hi @walterg 

We suspect the same root cause as discussed in this thread Cannot reliably connect to dev board from MacOS So... - STMicroelectronics Community Your feedback is valuable. 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FBL
ST Employee

Hi @walterg 

We suspect the same root cause as discussed in this thread Cannot reliably connect to dev board from MacOS So... - STMicroelectronics Community Your feedback is valuable. 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

walterg
Associate III

Hello @FBL , will accept this answer and switch future readers to the other, more technical, topic.

Thanks for getting back to me

W