cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

guidance for taking forward of custom hw using stm32h743

jr_engr_mbed
Associate III

Hi , As i decided to use h743 lqfp 208 for my application(ECG MACHINE WITH DISPLAY 1080*800-8.88") use of

• ETHERNET
  • FMC for SDRAM
  • QUADSPI
  • SDMMC1
  • USB OTG FS
  • LTDC
  • UART, I2C and SPI

is avoiding that h745or747 dual core is ok? 743 is itself enough right?.or is dual core usage is complicated?

As I'm new to PCB design, I initially followed a video for the STM32H723 MCU in an LQFP144 package. However, I later realized that the GPIOs would not be sufficient for my project. Consequently, I found another video featuring the STM32H743 VIT6 in an LQFP100 package, and I decided to replace all the pins from the H723 with those from an H743 in an LQFP208 package. I have some doubts about this approach. Is it correct to swap the GPIOs and make slight corrections to the crystal circuit, VSS, and VDDs by referring to the schematics for the H743 with 100 pins? Or should I follow the reference schematics for the STM32H743 Discovery board, or can I simply follow the video for the H743 in an LQFP100 package?"

Mixed-Signal Hardware Design Overview | Audio SoM | STM32 & Altium - Phil's Lab #45 (youtube.com)

Screenshot (800).png

Mini 6-Layer Mixed-Signal Hardware Design Walkthrough - Phil's Lab #78 (youtube.com)

Screenshot (801).png

12 REPLIES 12
LCE
Principal

I don't know these videos, but in case of doubt I would follow ST's evaluation boards.
Not necessarily when it comes to PCB layout details, because the ST eval boards are built for multiple use cases, which leads to some terribly long signal lines and other issues.

Anyway, read / check / compare datasheets, reference manuals, application notes.

New to PCB design and doing layout for a medical device? Good luck... 😉
Do you have some senior engineers for advice and double checking your work?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

>is avoiding that h745or747 dual core is ok? 743 is itself enough right?.or is dual core usage is complicated?

There are many HMI projects with LCD screen for single core STM32H7 and F7. H743 (in a right package) should be pretty good. The dual core MCUs indeed are more complicated TL;DR and can give you more grief than joy.

Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, my role is solely to select the chip and design the schematics, while a senior colleague handles the PCB design. However, he is not familiar with the STM32. Another colleague and I are involved in developing our company's own product using STM32. We have successfully demonstrated this using the F769-DISCO board, and now I need to use an 8.88" display with at least a 1080x800 resolution, so I decided on the H7. Unfortunately, I initially learned schematics from a dedicated H743 100-pin video. As I require SDRAM, LTDC, and eMMC, this would occupy many pins, so I switched to the STM32H743 in a 208 LQFP package instead of the previous one.

As you mentioned, I found a reference schematic for the H753 in the hardware application note. If I follow this reference schematic exactly, will my MCU function properly? Regarding the selection of active components, which should I prioritize? The STM32H753 eval board contains complicated and obsolete parts. What steps should I take after following the basic schematics provided in the reference?

Screenshot (807).png

Screenshot (808).png

 this is partially followed by ref.. 

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

STM32H753 is exactly same as STM32H743, and has crypto features that may be useful for you.

The only thing to worry about: make sure it is "stepping V", not "stepping Y". The latter is obsolete.

Maybe for you is without SDRAM variant STM32U599/5A9 - STMicroelectronics

If your GUI can use 256 colours only L8 ...

Thank you for your reply. As I have successfully used the STM32F769-DISC0 for displaying waveforms and interfacing with a thermal printer via the SPI interface, I now need to develop custom hardware capable of supporting a basic UI. I have purchased a DWIN display, initially utilizing it and later transitioning to LVDS. Therefore, my hardware should include components such as SDRAM, LTDC interface, and others. The final output should include:

LVDS TFT capacitive touchscreen display

Thermal printer head

ECG module with UART communication

Would choosing the H753 be the right decision, as Pavel A mentioned? Can the reference schematic be followed for the H753?

Lastly, which board would assist me in further developing the project by choosing active components that are not overly complex?

Hello,

so I switched to the STM32H743 in a 208 LQFP package instead of the previous one.

As you mentioned, I found a reference schematic for the H753 in the hardware application note. If I follow this reference schematic exactly, will my MCU function properly?

The answer is yes.. You need to add more decoupling capacitors for the "extra" VDD pins (vs LQFP144 package).

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

What if you just buy a ready HMI base, such as Riverdi?

Hi Pavel, thanks for suggesting Riverdi. Our ECG machine needs a simple GUI, so Riverdi might be too much. Initially, I considered the MP15, as I was forced  with designing a PCB for a patient monitor. Due to time constraints, they told me to do base hardware which is used for both the projects as used like SOM and daughter board, but I'm new here..where I thought for doing hw with single core which is easy for beginners, later I can replace the dusk core h745 MCU alone and draw additional schematic for patient monitor parameters..? After discussing with others in st community, [presently I can do this ECG in h753 and patient monitor in 745] Could you confirm if my understanding is correct?