cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ETH on STM3220G-EVAL is not linking with demo firmware 1.3.0

JČape.1
Associate

The Ethernet on STM3220G-EVAL is not linking.

PHY never links with demonstration firmware 1.3.0 or my own STMCubeMX generated code. The LEDs doesn't even blink. I investigated BSR and the state shows "Not linked" but also "Remote fault". The BCR is 0x3100 after reset.

What's weird is, that the board works with Demonstration Firmware 1.2.0. However I wasn't able to find a source code for that particular version.

4 REPLIES 4
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @Jan Čapek​ ,

Welcome to the ST Community!

Latest version of STM3220G-EVAL demonstration firmware is 1.2.0 as in the dedicated web page.

From where you got the 1.3.0?

When you said "PHY never links with demonstration firmware 1.3.0 or my own STMCubeMX generated code." ==> How exactly are you doing?

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

A) On the STM3220G-EVAL page (link) I downloaded "STM32F2 and STM32F4 demonstration builder platform". There is "/STM32F2-F4_Demonstration_Builder_V1.3.0/Project/Binary/STM322xG_EVAL_Demonstration_Builder_V1.3.0.hex" in the zip file, which I flashed on the board with command:

openocd -f board/MY_CONFIG_FILE
-c init
-c targets
-c "reset halt"
-c "flash write_image erase HEX_FILE" -c "reset halt" -c "verify_image HEX_FILE" -c "reset run" -c shutdown

I'm also 100% sure the board didn't came with 1.2.0 pre-flashed. Because when the board booted for the first time it looked like the 1.3.0 from demonstration builder. However I don't remember if the pre-flashed firmware had the ethernet working but it was definitely not the 1.2.0.

B) How exactly I used CubeMX?

I used "New Project" and then I used "Board Selector" to select STM3220G-EVAL. Then I clicked "Initialize all peripherals with their default mode". The ETH is then preconfigured in MII mode. I also added LwIP with DHCP set to "ON" and FreeRTOS. Then I started up the debugger to examine the registers and program state in ethernetif.c

Piranha
Chief II

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BOtfhnSQB/how-to-make-ethernet-and-lwip-working-on-stm32

I remember STSW-STM32042 demonstation firmware on a STM3210C-EVAL board. At least the Ethernet part of it was on the same "quality" level as everything related to Ethernet - barely working. Don't expect STSW-STM32043 to be much better...

Hello @Jan Čapek​ ,

Sorry for coming back late to this discussion.

The package you are trying to use is STSW-STM32106. You need to refer to UM1549 and UM1550.

This demonstration builder is based on STM32 Standard Peripheral Library (SPL).

If you use STM32CubeMX, so you will be using STM32Cube drivers which are not the same as the demonstration builder platform. So you need to differentiate both use-cases and issues faced with each one.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.