cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to STM32H523

WhoIsJohnGalt
Associate II

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a STM32H523RET MCU via SWD using a J-link Debugger (CubeProgrammer v2.17.0).
Reading the Product ID fails, so I get asked to select the MCU manually.

WhoIsJohnGalt_2-1727295663441.png

Unfortunately the list does not contain any STM32H52x MCU

WhoIsJohnGalt_3-1727295706101.png

But when I am trying to connect via Jlink - Commander I can find der MCU in the list and also connect to it:

WhoIsJohnGalt_0-1727295541006.png

WhoIsJohnGalt_1-1727295559401.png

Does anybody have an idea, why I can't find the MCU in the list when using the CubeProgrammer?

Thanks for any hints.

Regards

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @WhoIsJohnGalt ,

After check, this issue is related to the access port when connecting with J-Link and will be fixed in the upcoming release of STM32CubeProgrammer.

For now, you can manually change the access port from 0 to 1, which should resolve the issue with the current version.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @WhoIsJohnGalt ,

Try connecting with other MCU to check if the problem is reproduced with the tools used.

Try to “Connect Under Reset” mode.

Does your J-Link connect to any other STM32 targets?

Check these links that may help you:

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Thanks for your quick response.

The first link I already checked and the connection with the jlink-commander does work fine (see first post screenshots). So therefore I assume the SWD lines are connected correctly.
(Unrelated side note: connecting via USB-DFU in CubeProgrammer also works fine)

CubeProgrammer:
Trying to connect with "Connect Under Reset" mode + "Software Reset" leads also to a failed PRODID read (as shown in first post".

I will check the value off the pull down capacitor on the NRST line of the MCU...

Regards,

John

WhoIsJohnGalt
Associate II

Pull down capacitor is 100 nF, as recommended...

WhoIsJohnGalt
Associate II

@Imen.D I have also tested to connect via J-Flash, which works fine.

WhoIsJohnGalt_0-1727445794869.png

Could it be that this is a CubeProgrammer issue?
(Connecting to a STM32U545 device works also with the CubeProgrammer)

Regards,

John

Hi @WhoIsJohnGalt ,

I escalated this issue internally to the appropriate team via ticket (ID 192398) in order to analyze this and take the necessary action.

PS: internal ticket ID 192398 is only for reference, not available outside of ST.

Thanks
Imen

Hi @WhoIsJohnGalt ,

After check, this issue is related to the access port when connecting with J-Link and will be fixed in the upcoming release of STM32CubeProgrammer.

For now, you can manually change the access port from 0 to 1, which should resolve the issue with the current version.

Thanks
Imen

Thanks, I can confirm this worked for me. Now also the connection in the CubeIDE works as well.