cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to compile FreeRTOS project

j0of
Associate II

Hello,

I am currently experiencing issues with compiling a Makefile project for the STM32F103C8T6, generated by STM32CubeMX. The project has the FreeRTOS middleware enabled, with CMSIS V2.

Compilation of the generated code results in these errors:

https://pastebin.com/WJEXLh09

I believe the first error has something to do with a missing symbol/definition for CMSIS_device_header, but I am unsure as to which header file should be there instead. The other error seems to be a configuration error, but I, once again, have no idea what to do to fix it.

It's also worth noting that I was able to generate a project with the same settings and compile it previously. I don't recall tampering with anything that could have caused this breakage.

6 REPLIES 6
Sarra.S
ST Employee

Hello @j0of, welcome to ST Community, 

Please re-attach the compilations errors, the link doesn't work! Or simply copy paste/paste, post a screenshot..

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hey, thanks for letting me know. I have copy-pasted the error messages below.

In file included from Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:34:
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/freertos_os2.h:31:10: error: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
   31 | #include CMSIS_device_header
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/freertos_os2.h:141:2: error: #error "Definition INCLUDE_xTaskGetCurrentTaskHandle must equal 1 to implement Thread Management API."
  141 | #error                                                                         \
      |  ^~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c: In function 'SVC_Setup':
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:179:3: error: implicit declaration of function 'NVIC_SetPriority' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  179 |   NVIC_SetPriority (SVCall_IRQ_NBR, 0U);
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:80:36: error: 'IRQn_Type' undeclared (first use in this function)
   80 | #define SVCall_IRQ_NBR            (IRQn_Type) -5        /* SVCall_IRQ_NBR added as SV_Call handler name is not the same for CM0 and for all other CMx */
      |                                    ^~~~~~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:179:21: note: in expansion of macro 'SVCall_IRQ_NBR'
      |                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:80:36: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
   80 | #define SVCall_IRQ_NBR            (IRQn_Type) -5        /* SVCall_IRQ_NBR added as SV_Call handler name is not the same for CM0 and for all other CMx */
      |                                    ^~~~~~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:179:21: note: in expansion of macro 'SVCall_IRQ_NBR'
      |                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c: In function 'OS_Tick_GetCount':
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:401:19: error: 'SysTick' undeclared (first use in this function)
  401 |   uint32_t load = SysTick->LOAD;
      |                   ^~~~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c: In function 'OS_Tick_GetOverflow':
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:407:12: error: 'SysTick' undeclared (first use in this function)
  407 |   return ((SysTick->CTRL >> 16) & 1U);
      |            ^~~~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c: In function 'OS_Tick_GetInterval':
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:412:11: error: 'SysTick' undeclared (first use in this function)
  412 |   return (SysTick->LOAD + 1U);
      |           ^~~~~~~
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c: In function 'OS_Tick_GetOverflow':
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:408:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
  408 | }
      | ^
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c: In function 'OS_Tick_GetCount':
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:403:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
  403 | }
      | ^
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c: In function 'OS_Tick_GetInterval':
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:413:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
  413 | }
      | ^
make: *** [Makefile:183: build/cmsis_os2.o] Error 1

In file included from Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:34:
Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/freertos_os2.h:31:10: error: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
   31 | #include CMSIS_device_header
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the message says, the #include directive needs to have the filename in either "double-quotes" or <angle-brackets>; ie, 

#include "CMSIS_device_header"

or

#include <CMSIS_device_header>

EDIT:

Presumably, CMSIS_device_header is (or should be) #defined somewhere - so that #define should include the quotes.

Maybe it is (or should be) a command-line define?

Hello Andrew, thank you for your response.

I also believe `CMSIS_device_header` was supposed to be defined somewhere else, but it may have not been defined/generated due to some sort of bug within CubeMX.

Upon further inspection, I concluded that the correct header is located within `Drivers/CMSIS/Devices/STM32F1xx/Include`, so I temporarily replaced the line `#include CMSIS_device_header` with `#include "stm32f103x6.h"` from this directory. This seems to have fixed a large majority of the errors, but compilation still resulted in the following:

Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/freertos_os2.h:141:2: error: #error "Definition INCLUDE_xTaskGetCurrentTaskHandle must equal 1 to implement Thread Management API."
  141 | #error                                                                         \
      |  ^~~~~
make: *** [Makefile:183: build/cmsis_os2.o] Error 1

I tried to fix it by changing the definition of `INCLUDE_xTaskGetCurrentTaskHandle` located in file  `Middleware/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/include/FreeRTOS.h` from 0 to 1. It then resulted in this compilation error once again:

/home/joof/projects/testete/Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/portable/GCC/ARM_CM3/port.c:427: multiple definition of `SysTick_Handler'; build/cmsis_os2.o:/home/joof/projects/testete/Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/CMSIS_RTOS_V2/cmsis_os2.c:159: first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/14.1.0/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: warning: build/testete.elf has a LOAD segment with RWX permissions
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Makefile:191: build/testete.elf] Error 1

Any other ideas? Was there a step I missed when generating the project, or is this just ST's problem?

Did you select the proper configuration  parameters?  Please check the freeRTOSConfig.h. this is w.r to your previous error

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

#include CMSIS_device_header  is valid syntax, it means that CMSIS_device_header is defined as "string" or <string>. In Keil toolchain this macro is defined as name of the MCU-specific .h file. For STM32 these .h files are in STM32Cube_FW_XXXX/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32XXxx\Include\stm32*.h