cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE hangs while attempting to open .ioc file

msch
Associate III

I have intermittent problems in STM32CubeIDE 1.8.0 opening a .ioc file. When I double click on the file in the Project Explorer, I get a progress bar titled "Loading IOC". When things are working well, as soon as that bar fills up, it is replaced with a progress bar titled "Completing IOC Load"; and when that fills up, the configuration screen is dsplayed.

Sometimes the IDE gets into a state where the first progress bar will fill up, but the second one never appears. Instead, the window hangs--I get a spinning cursor, and the Windows message "not responding". This lasts forever. If I force quit the IDE and retry, many times, eventually it starts working again.

How can I keep this from happening, and if it does happen, how can I reliably and quickly recover?

11 REPLIES 11
XR.1
Associate III

I've lost a lot of projects because this issue :(

Does anyone in ST even cares about the issue? Has ST tried to fix it? This bug exists release after release.

Thanks, that was very helpful, but I had to clear out just about all the meta data to get the ioc file to load correctly again. I am using Linux Kubuntu 22.04.1 and STM32CubeIDE 1.15.0. I was getting the same problem.

After closing or killing all stm32 processes, I ended up renaming all the hidden .stm-xx folders in my home folder to .stm-xxOrig. For example: mv .stm32cubemx .stm32cubemxOrig.

Then I removed the workbench.xmi file in the appropriate workspace, like this:

rm /home/myname/STM32CubeIDE/workspace_1.15.0/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi

Then start up STM32CubeIDE and the ioc file loads fine. 

I just put all this in a readme file in my STM32CubeIDE folder to remind me how to do it again later, as I'm sure I'll forget by the next time it happens.

Thanks.