Stcube and log4j

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Sorry, somehow I managed to drop the question:

During startup, stcube prints a message about log4j. There are known vulnrerabilities about log4j. How does this impact stcube and the host system, stcube runs on?

TDK
Guru

Apparently the version used is so out of date that it's "safe". Not sure I'd trust that answer.

See: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001FmB6NSAV/i-am-using-cubemx-there-is-a-significant-security-vulnerability-of-apache-log4j-on-net-cubemx-has-this-issue-if-yes-do-you-have-any-fix-solution

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I wonder how exactly could an outside attacker achieve an entry to be inserted to CubeIDE/ CubeWhatever's log...

Do these programs have open listening IP ports?

JW

It will try to format the log message and if you have certain patterns in the message being logged, it will load an arbitrary file from a web address to do so. So if you can control what is being logged, perhaps if the program logs user input, you're toast.

It is amazing that a program ostensibly designed to log events in a program has gone through so much feature creep that it is even possible for this to happen. I'm not surprised it happened in Java.

I find it all quite interesting.

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/research/21/l/patch-now-apache-log4j-vulnerability-called-log4shell-being-acti.html

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I understand the mechanism of the bug. My question was towards how

> if you can control what is being logged,

can happen in the particular case of Cuben.

JW

> It is amazing that a program ostensibly designed to log events in a program has gone through so much feature creep

That is also the past and future of the CubeMX. It started as a Microcontroller eXplorer and helped managing pins and clocks. Then the "initialization code generator" was added. Officially it's still called like that! But in reality it has gone down the full - "I'm clicking a project together completely in CubeMX. Something doesn't work. I no learn C. Help!!! Thank you, ser!" - mode. And even sane users want more and more customization. Initialization order, priorities, enable/disable by default etc. Eventually it will mimic all of the HAL in a million configurations, it will require the same amount of knowledge and be more complex to configure than writing a code, and the project will collapse under it's own weight.