cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about STM32H7 clock domains

JMill.1
Associate III

I am configuring SPI1 on the STM32H743. At first, I used the default configuration where the peripheral is clocked off of PLL1Q as shown below:

0693W00000JPLOyQAP.png 

However, with this configuration, the HAL peripheral driver would time out waiting for EOT flag to be set. Probing the pins directly, there was no clock or data coming out of the pins, so it seemed clear that the peripheral was not receiving any clock internally. I switched to running the peripheral off the PER_CK clock source as shown below:

0693W00000JPLJuQAP.png 

With this configuration, everything works fine. So I am all set to move forward with the project, but for my own education (and possibly to help other that come across this question), I would like to understand why running off the PLL source did not work. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jamie

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

Using the PLL should work.

120 MHz is fast, but within the limits of the peripheral. Perhaps your hardware isn't suited for that fast of a rate and edges are missing. Must be an explanation somewhere.

I use SPI1 on PLL1Q on the STM32H743.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

SPI should work with ker clock of 120MHz. But please check the following from RM0433/Table 59:

0693W00000JPLxoQAH.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Muhammed Güler
Senior III

I don't know if it's relevant but can you check the output speeds of the SPI pins from the GPIO settings?

by default it is set for the lowest speed. Can you try setting the output speed to maximum?