cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link errors after update for MCU Tools libc_nano

Robmar
Senior III

Since updating the Cube IDE last week it's listing  9 link errors on compile related to the MCU tools, nano lib, but if I just compile it again the errors disappear!

Before the update this didn't occur.

If anyone else has this or knows a fix, please let me know.

Thxscubeideerrors.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What a mess, really this shouldn't have been released without testing.

This is what people need to get the latest CMSIS DSP 5.8.0 to compile, you can share it with all the other poor souls that have lost half a day of their lives due to STM dev screw ups like this:

Add these lines to the include, editing in the correct user:

C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/FastMathsFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/SVMFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/SupportFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/TransformFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/StatisticsFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/QuaternionMathFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/MatrixFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/InterpolationFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/FilteringFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/DistanceFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/ComplexMathFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/ControllerFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/CommonTables/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/BayesFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/BasicMathFunctions/

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Rim LANDOLSI
ST Employee

Hello @Robmar ,

Could you, please, check the includes by right-clicking on the properties of the project, selecting Properties, then navigating to C/C++ Build > Settings > Tool Settings > MCU GCC Compiler > Includes. Also, check the toolchain version 11.3.rel1.

Hope this helps !

Thanks,

Rim

Sorry Rim, but your message is really not helpful to say the least.

Our project has been compiling perfectly since 2015 in debug and release, only after the 1.12 Cube IDE update did we start getting this compiles/doesn't compile situation.

We are on the same toolchain 11.3rel1 that you mention.

Now after today's update 1.13 we´re getting a permanent 17 errors, defines that previously linked, no longer link.

I am updating the toolchain and will retest after rebooting the IDE, but I doubt this will solve the issue.

I really think STM have lost control of the IDE source code.

Robmar
Senior III

Hi Rim, so I just finished and it wasn't anything to do with includes, simply by reloading the same toolchain, making no changes, then rebooting the IDE twice, it got back to failing the compile the first time with the same 9 errors, then if compiled directly again, magically with 0 errors!  STM IDE is generally a mess IMHO, and needs a serious reworking probably with a new manager who can get the team to locate and fix all these quirks.

But I'm guessing you're going to tell me that's not your responsibility.

Some of the STM MCU education content on the web is good, but then fails when trying to implement due to a lack of maintenance.

For example, the STM educational content for H743 says that the third-party code supports USB 2.0, but then the USB code in new projects looks like USB 1.0 with a fixed 22100 sample rate.

Why isn't the USB 2.0 driver installed after selecting USB devices in the MX, and where are the code examples to test USB 2.0a on the H743?

I've already posted a support case for this USB issue last week, and so far no response apart from it's been escalated.

Rim LANDOLSI
ST Employee

Hello @Robmar ,

The issue is not reproduced with a simple STM32CubeIDE project after update from CubeIDE 1.10.0 to 1.13.1.
But, when I tried with an STM32CubeIDE example for X-CUBE-SBSFU package I have the same behavior that you faced and there are errors related to the link with libc_nano library after update.
To further analyze the issue, could you, please, provide the content of the console view.
Also, it would be helpful to share more information about the project such as, if you have used a specific configuration or a software package.

Thanks,

Rim

christelle burguera
ST Employee

Hello Robmar.

The problem that is causing the failed build was fixed in CDT (https://github.com/eclipse-cdt/cdt/commit/1b2472faff2028f0323ad5c5eb85565f81b89053) last Friday and should be available in the Eclipse SimRel 2023-09.

The fix will however only be available in STM32CubeIDE after this version has been integrated. 

We'll do our best to provide an update as soon as possible according to our roadmap.

Best regards

What a mess, really this shouldn't have been released without testing.

This is what people need to get the latest CMSIS DSP 5.8.0 to compile, you can share it with all the other poor souls that have lost half a day of their lives due to STM dev screw ups like this:

Add these lines to the include, editing in the correct user:

C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/FastMathsFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/SVMFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/SupportFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/TransformFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/StatisticsFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/QuaternionMathFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/MatrixFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/InterpolationFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/FilteringFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/DistanceFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/ComplexMathFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/ControllerFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/CommonTables/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/BayesFunctions/
C:/Users/YourUser/STM32Cube/Repository/Packs/ARM/CMSIS/5.8.0/CMSIS/DSP/Source/BasicMathFunctions/

Hello Robmar,

We worked to a workaround if needed, please find it :

Go to Windows > Preferences
Open the tab Error Parsers into C/C++ > Build > Settings
Select GNU Linker Error Parser, double click on the pattern for the 1st severity Ignore
Changer :
(.*?):?(\(\.[^\s+]+\+.*\))?:\s*(In function [`'"](.*)['"]:)
to :
(.*?):?(\(\.[^\s+]+\+.*\))?:\s*([Ii]n function [`'"](.*)['"]:)

Hi Christelle
So that's a 7 weeks response time from your team, not sure what to say!!
I've cleaned our project, made the edit, compiled and bingo, the 9 errors are not being listed.

Can you explain why this fix is needed, what it does, and whether it will be rolled out in the next CubeIDE update?

Thanks, Rob

ANauz.1
Senior II

So....

On October 31, more than 3 month after, the last version 1.13.2 as not been updated and the problem is still present.

Seriously ST, this is not professional at all! Could you test the version you are releasing!! And provide fast correction when you are not capable to test?!!

We have other thing to do than loosing days because of your poor release!!