cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM32G070RBT6 MCU support USART(RS-232) software (XON/XOFF) flow control by default? If not, then after enabling HW flow control using .ioc file is there anything else that I will have to do to get the Hw flow control working?

AYada.8
Associate

I am using USART2 in DMA mode for Tx/Rx. I have attached the USART configuration after enabling HW flow control CTS/RTS. Are the configurations corrrect or do I have to modify anything?
_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bkacHQAQ.png

3 REPLIES 3

> Does STM32G070RBT6 MCU support USART(RS-232) software (XON/XOFF) flow control by default?

As its name says, *software* flow control is performed in *software*. In other words, *you* have to write software so that it supports *software* flow control.

JW

I asked this because many of the processors and Micro-controllers support XON/XOFF flow control by default. One can just enable them like HW flow control. We can even do this in Tera-Term.

Anyways, please let me know if HW flow control requires any software to be updated or not?

I've been doing this for a while, and I don't recall XON/XOFF being done with HW

The HW flow-control on the STM32 side needs a lot of help, I'm not even convinced it works properly or effectively, as the STM32 generally only have a single byte of buffering, and flow-control really needs a more long term understanding of the buffering than a bang-bang strategy.

Generally implement protocols that have flow control in mind.

Have buffers deep enough that you can manage things.

When dealing with modems, pay attention to the CTS/RTS DTR/DSR signals more directly and don't cram down data when the devices say they are busy.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..