cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is LoRa & Z-wave concurrency available on STM32WL, similar to BLE & ZigBee/Thread concurrency on STM32WB?

menahemk
Associate

8 REPLIES 8
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

There's only one radio - so it can only be doing one thing at any one time.

You would have to devise some sort of time-sharing scheme...

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

It seems that SiLabs own the Z-Wave IP, and the only 3rd-party licensee is Mitsumi - so no STM32 support at all?

Appreciate your prompt answer. Thought so.
But then how does STM32WB, with a single radio as well, claim BLE & ZigBee concurrency? I guessed so hardware-based time sharing and imagined a similar scheme in STM32WL.

I haven't looked into how they do it, but I don't see any particular reason to assume that it must be (custom) hardware?

Louis AUDOLY
ST Employee

Hello,

There is no support on STM32WL for LoRa and Zwave concurrency. We haven't any exemple, so it's up to you to create your application.

regards

@Louis AUDOLY​  - Does ST have any support at all for Zwave ?

Hello,

No sorry we don't have any support on this protocol.

Regards

This application note describes who the "concurrency" is managed:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an5613-getting-started-with-dynamicconcurrent-mode-ble--zigbee-on-stm32wb-series-microcontrollers-stmicroelectronics.pdf

So it does, indeed, use specific hardware. But note that the WB chip has specific IEEE 802.15.4 and BLE hardware - which is not the case for LoRa / Zwave in the WL.

See recent post from @Louis AUDOLY​  confirming that ST have no support at all for Zwave.