cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently purchased a STM32WL55JC17 and I could not get it to connect to the STM32CubeIDE. I thought I would try to update the ST-LINK and that started to work but failed near the end. I fear I may have corrupted it. Help!

Mdede.1
Associate II

14 REPLIES 14
Louis AUDOLY
ST Employee

Hello @Mdede.1​ ,

Could you provide more details about the error message you have when you try to update the ST-link please ?

Regards

Mdede.1
Associate II

I find this Nucleo Board is very picky as to what USB cable I use. Some cables I use that work on other borads will not work on this one. When I find one that works, STMCubeIDE does not recognize there is anything connected. The board does show up as a storage device on windows file manager. It has 2 files, FAILED.TXT that contains the contents "The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU", and DETAILS.TXT that contain "Version: V255J255M255B255S255

Build:  Nov 2 2021 16:57:17"

STM32CubeProgrammer does kind of see it because it finds a serial number for the board but when I hit the connect button it fails with No STM32 Target found. I see there is a target voltage listed of 3.26V.

14:47:42 : STM32CubeProgrammer API v2.10.0 | Windows-64Bits

14:53:03 : ST-LINK SN : 003D00194741500120383733

14:53:03 : ST-LINK FW : V255J255M255B255S255

14:53:03 : Board      : --

14:53:03 : Voltage    : 3.27V

14:53:03 : Error: No STM32 target found!

14:54:29 : Start STLinkUpgrade...

14:55:04 : Start STLinkUpgrade...

14:56:44 : Error: Establishing connection with device failed

14:56:50 : ST-LINK SN : 003D00194741500120383733

14:56:50 : ST-LINK FW : V255J255M255B255S255

14:56:50 : Board      : --

14:56:50 : Voltage    : 3.26V

14:56:50 : Error: No STM32 target found!

When I select upgrade and try Open in DFU mode, it comes back with Unknown Firmware type. Don't know how to upgrade.

Originally SYM32CubeIDE would not recognize the board so I tried an upgrade. At that point it was able to put the board in DFU mode and start the upgrade but failed near the end. This is the state of the device now, cannot connect with anything I try.

Thanks for any help!!

LaurentL
ST Employee

Hello,

For this STM32WL5x device, STM32CubeIde 1.9.0 has an issue to connect, use 1.8.0 version instead or wait for next release.

STM32CubeProgrammer should be able to connect.

Try to connect under reset and mass erase the device.

You maybe are running a low power application and it can't connect.

Regards,

Laurent

Mdede.1
Associate II

I tried STM32CubeIDE 1.8.0 and that still does not connect. STM32CubeProgrammer does not connect. I tried the Under Reset option but it does not connect, it just says Error: No STM32 target found!

I tried an older version of STM32CubeProgrammer, v2.8.0 instead of the v2.9.0 I used earlier, and still does not connect.

I am not sure what you mean by selecting "mass erase". As far as I understand it I cannot erase anything unless I get ST-LINK to connect first.

I also do not know what you mean by "low power application"? I don't think I am running ANY application, just trying to get the STM32Programmer to connect to the board.

Is there a way to upload the ST-LINK firmware to the device without using the ST-LINK Upgrade? For example a j-link from Segger? Or an ST-LINK from another Nucleo Board?

LaurentL
ST Employee

Hi,

Yes, I meant "mass erase" after you are connected so not an option as you can't connect.

For the application running right now, it is the last you programmed before you encountered issues.

I tried the Nucleo WL55JC1, the Stlink fw is a V3.

I can see a strange version number on your ST-LINK FW : V255J255M255B255S255

So you're not using a Nucleo board.

Try with a real STLink.

Rgds,

Laurent

Mdede.1
Associate II

0693W00000Nt3scQAB.jpgI understand that the firmware version is strange and that is probably why the ST-Link utility won't upgrade the board because it doesn't understand it either. Is there a way around that?

This is an official Nucleo-64 board I purchased from Mouser a week ago, see pic above. When you say "Try with a real STLink." do you mean use another ST-Link to program the STM32WL55 microcontroller or use another ST-Link to update the firmware on the onboard STLINK-V3E MCU? Because I would like this to work as it was manufactured by ST. I would like to fix the STLINK-V3E MCU. Is there a way to upload the appropriate firmware any other way?

LaurentL
ST Employee

OK It is an official ST board so an official STLink too.

So, I think you mentioned STLink Utility but this software is too old and replaced by STM32CubeProgrammer.

So, try with the latest version and maybe on another PC or USB cable as you stated you had issues.

Is the jumper JP6 set on STLK RST (STLink Reset) ?

It should not be set to let the STLink work.

Rgds,

Laurent

Mdede.1
Associate II

I did use STMCubeProgrammer originally when the upgrade failed and started all this, version 2.10.0. I then tried version 2.8.0 but it also fails to connect. I then was grasping at straws and used the old standalone STLink upgrade utility to see if that could connect but it also does not work.

Using version 2.10.0 of STMCubeProgrammer and with JP6 not connected( jumper is open) there is a serial number that gets posted as well as a target voltage, I don't know where it is getting that information, but when I select CONNECT it fails to see the target MCU. And when I try the STLINK Upgrade button it bring up the utility and it also fails and posts the error about not understanding the firmware level.

Related https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001dvWIESA2/nucleowl55-stlink-cannot-detect-a-target-

Also directly connect the ST-LINK to the PC, as Hubs and Docking Stations are a known failure mode with these devices, drivers and stack.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..