cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFFICIAL RELEASE: X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX v4.13.0

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Goodmorning everyone!

With the release of CubeMX 5.5.0 we've removed TouchGFX from the Middleware section of CubeMX and are now offering TouchGFX configuration through an X-CUBE.

The X-CUBE pack contains the following:

1. TouchGFX Designer .msi, as per usual
  2. TouchGFX Generator - A tool through "additional software" for creating your TouchGFX HAL based on CubeMX settings.

CubeMX is a tool for configuring your MCU.

CubeMX is not a tool for completely configuring peripherals like touch controllers and external memories.

TouchGFX Generator (new since 4,13) is a CubeMX extension that can generate all or parts of your TouchGFX HAL Layer based partially on settings taken from your MCU configuration in CubeMX.

TouchGFX Generator (new since 4,13) is not a tool that provides complete configurations for touch controllers, external memories, etc. It only generates the TouchGFX HAL - Rendering strategies, acceleration strategies, etc.

TouchGFX Designer is a tool that can supply you with application templates for existing stm32 display kits. We are working on getting all of them updated to use the new Generator.

Please read the following guides for instructions on how to install the new TouchGFX X-CUBE and how to use the TouchGFX Generator to develop your TouchGFX HAL:

From now on it is the X-CUBE that receives a version bump, bumping the version of both tools contained within.

A few application templates already support the new TouchGFX Generator (and thus CubeMX 5.5.0), with lots more to come. One of our main priorities is to get the rest of the application templates ported to use the TouchGFX Generator,

• STM32H7BI-DK v.3.0.0 (uploaded)
  • STM32F746-DISCO v.3.0.0 (uploaded)
  • STM32F769I-DISCO v.3.0.0 (uploaded)
  • STM32H750B-DK v3.0.0 (uploaded)
  • STM32F750-DK v3.0.0 (in progress)
  • STM32L4R9-DISCO v3.0.0 (in progress)
  • STM32L4P5-DISCO v3.0.0 (in progress)
  • STM32H743-EVAL v3.0.0 (In progress)

Generally, any application template that supports the Generator/CubeMX 5.5.0 will be major version 3.

0690X00000BviXRQAZ.png 

0690X00000BviXWQAZ.png

Let me know here if you have any questions or face any issues! We're eager to see how this works for everyone.

Now that we are officially live with X-CUBE-TOUCHGFX we'll continue working on improving documentation, offering support and updating the current application templates you can find through the designer.

Aside from that i'll do my best to catch up on this community, something i've had to neglect a bit because of the new Generator.

Best regards,

TouchGFX Generator Team

162 REPLIES 162

It all boils down to me not explaining it well enough if highly capable developers like yourself are confused about it - I'm rethinking things with this in mind. We're also in the process of moving to our own platform (no more zendesk), so everything will get an overhaul anyway and hopefully become the documentation of our dreams 🙂

Okay, let me know if you need help with your 746g-disco project! It's a good idea to do that to get to know the process, i agree.

Let me try to do some debugging on my own on the latest CubeIDE (1.2.0) maybe tomorrow.

That would be great.

I am wondering if there is a setting that TouchGFX Designer is making to the debugger or if I need to update my ST-Link software, but am apprehensive as I have a working projects in Stm32CubeIDE 1.1.0, CubeMX 5.4, TouchGFX 4.12.3 and don't want them to not work any more until I have this new release working.

Clearly I must have misunderstood everything so far..

I understand that we have 2 options for generating a project:

1. the designer, where the application template takes care of everything from touchscreen to QSPI. Use this for constructing the UI first and then the HW interaction later.
  2. Use the CubeIDE/MX way and configure the hardware to make everything custom. use this if you have a custom board.

this is how I understand the previous post that Martin wrote today.

If I'm using method 1 I can use 'Run target' from the designer just fine. but opening up the CubeIDE project generated will not compile for me. I have a lot of missing files (see point 4 in my post above)

If I'm using method 2 and doing a custom board (let's just assume that my custom board is identical to the F746) I can get a project going with the right settings and it will compile (it know I will have to add touchscreen and QSPI later) but then I get no image on the display.

I have added the MX_TouchGFX_Process(); call in my defaultTask and increased the stack to 4096. Screen is on but black.

So either way I'm not successful at the moment. Anyone else with similar issues?

HP,

On your option 2, that is what am seeing as well. I am getting a black screen.

One thing I noticed was that with option 1 and comparing to my previous projects created with Stm32CubeIDE 1.1.0 and CubeMX 5.4, there are a lot of differences in the CubeMX IOC file. There are a number of items not enabled (Usarts, for one).

I am getting a black screen on the target (as HP is getting). Below are my steps in as much detail as I can give to help Martin and his fellows see what I'm doing to help them recreate it or (more than likely) let me know what I am doing wrong.

This is for an STM32F746G-Discovery, so I am using that Application Template.

1). Open TouchGFX Designer 4.13.0 and create a new design, selecting the v3.00 Stm32F746G Discovery kit. There is no need to create a design at this point, because all I am interested in is the Application Template.

2). Generate Code in TouchGFX Designer.

3). I created a new workspace in Stm32CubeIDE 1.2.0, and selected the option in the opening screen to "Start new project from STM32CubeMX .ioc file"

4). When presented with the dialog to setup the STM32 project, browse to the location of the ioc file created in step 2 above and select it.

5). Setup a project name and select Targeted Language as C++. Click "Finish".

6). When asked to open up the STM32CubeMX perspective, click "Yes".

7). After this, the ApplicationTemplate.touchgfx.part file is seen in the TouchGFX directory in Stm32CubeIDE's Project Explorer. Double-Click on that file.

8). This opens up the TouchGFX Designer 4.13.0 prompting to select a UI Template. Create a simple design to test the target with. Generate Code in TouchGFX Designer.

9). At this time, I compiled the project (Project > Build Project) and had 66 errors.

10). I regenerated the CubeMx Code.

11). After this, compiling the project resulted in 0 errors.

12). Then I setup the Debug Configurations for the newly created "elf"file. And debugged on the target which resulted in a black screen.

I am assuming that the TouchGFX Designer selection of Application Template is supposed to generate a correct CubeMX ioc file as well as other target code so I did not do any of the extra steps HP mentioned in his post above. I am probably missing some steps, but wanted to give you an idea of what I'm doing and hopefully let me know if I am wrong somehow.

Stathis
Associate II

Martin,

1.I start with TouchGFX Designer choose STM32f746G V3.0, "import" a gui (swipe container example) and "Generate Code". CubeMX file and Stm32CubeIDE project generated.

2. Connect the STM32F746G-Disco evaluation board and click "Run Target" everything was fine, the gui runs on the board.

3. Import the generated project in Stm32CubeIDE (1.2.0) or Stm32CubeIDE (1.1.0) and build, an error apears : " make: *** No rule to make target

C:/TouchGFXProjects/MyApplication_3/TouchGFX/gui/src/logoargbbilinear127qspi_screen/LogoARGBBilinear127QSPIPresenter.cpp', needed by

'Application/User/gui/LogoARGBBilinear127QSPIPresenter.o'. Stop."

I exclude all these files that produce this error from build ( these where files of graphics that are not used in the selected gui) .

Build again and there are no more errors.

4. Trying to debug and get the following error : Break at address "0xf3af4804" with no debug information available, or outside of program code.

And on the console the following info :

Download verified successfully

(Read)Failed determine breakpoint type

Error! Failed to read target status

Debugger connection lost.

Shutting down...

It happens on both Stm32CubeIDE (1.2.0) and (1.1.0)

Your help will be appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to verify if my steps in above post is correct?

I wouldn't doubt if I am missing something.

SKim.1761
Associate III

I am mac user and I am using stm32cubeide

I installed packages about every stuff but touchgfx is no offering mac version..

what should i do

HHarj.1
Senior

Is there currently any board which would work with the newest versions (or any versions) as intended. I mean that getting something else than black screen?

zul-a
Associate II

​  Hi @Martin KJELDSEN​ Thanks for posting the update. I am having some issues with the project generation . I have done all the updates. STM32CUBEIDE, CUBEMX and Touchgfx are all on latest releases, Trying to generate the project for STM32F746 Disc board using STM32CUBEIDE with Touchgfx and I am getting the following errors. Your help in resolving this is much appreciated.

Regards

0690X00000Bw8hSQAR.png

0690X00000Bw8hhQAB.png