cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown chip id! 0x421

Odega
Associate

Hello, so I am completely new to working with STM boards in general. 

I just got a brand new stm32f446re board, and I tried to upload some code to it through Linux. And I do mean brand new, I haven't uploaded or downloaded any code to it before this attempt. However, when I attempted to do so, I got an error message:

"WARN common.c: unknown chip id! 0x421"

So, I looked around for a bit and tried a simple command: st-info --probe to see some internal stuff on it. But I was told this:

"No such file or directory

version:V2J33S25

serial: 066DFF534871754867255336

flash: 0 (pagesize: 0)

sram: 0

chipid: 0x421"

After spending roughly about two weeks trying to find stuff online, I couldn't figure out anything on what to do. So, I am very much open to suggestions if anybody knows anything about this error.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Andrew Neil wrote:

@waclawek.jan wrote:

I maintain that those utilities are of an obsolete version and/or incorrectly installed.

Plausible - and that was also @Tesla DeLorean's feeling, I think.

https://github.com/stlink-org/stlink/issues/1241#issuecomment-1366964332

As already noted, it's a 3rd-party project - so you need to take issues up with them.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@Odega wrote:

I am completely new to working with STM boards in general. .

Do you have experience with any other microcontroller(s)? With programming in general? Electronics?

@Odega wrote:

I just got a brand new stm32f446re board

What board, exactly - ST? 3rd-party? custom?

What, exactly, are you using to do the downloading?

https://community.st.com/t5/community-guidelines/how-to-write-your-question-to-maximize-your-chances-to-find-a/ta-p/575228

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @Odega  and welcome to the community,

@Odega wrote:

I just got a brand new stm32f446re board, and I tried to upload some code to it through Linux. And I do mean brand new, I haven't uploaded or downloaded any code to it before this attempt. .

What tool are you using to connect to the board?

What board are you using? NUCLEO-F446RE?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you for the welcome to the community.

I am using a Nucleo-F446RE.

And to connect to the board I am just using a USB cord to connect to said board. Beyond that, I am just using the Terminal that came with the laptop I was given. 

So what software tools are you using to download the code to the board?

And what code are you trying to download?

You didn't answer about your background/experience - that would help in knowing how to pitch replies...

I am an electrical engineering student, so I have some basic experience with Stm32 boards, but nothing overly expansive. I've used keil to program one before, and know some C and Python programming languages. 

I'm just working with an stm32 nucleo f446re. And I am just using a USB cord. I have been told that for this specific code that I am working with, I was told that using a USB has worked in the past and to just do that. 

Thank you for that link btw. I'm completely new to writing on message boards like this so I didn't know any of that.

And for the record, I am just compiling the code on Linux (I don't know the specifics of the version of Linux or anything). I'm uploading a compiled set of code that was pre-written before I ever joined this project. But from what I have been told, the overall code portion shouldn't matter.

I got this new board because a previous one was having connection issues with the laptop I am working on, so I was hoping that the new board would work right off the bat. Should have known it is never just that easy.

Some old/broken tools..

case 0x421 : printf("STM32F446\n"); break; // Been known here for a while..

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hello @Odega ,

You still didn't provide what tool you are using to compile the project and to upload it to the MCU.

Example for ST tools:

- STM32CubeIDE: to compile/uploaded and debug available on Linux platform.

- STM32CubeProgrammer: to manipulate the internal/enteral Flash and option bytes.

- On board ST-LINK: as in-circuit debugger and programmer to connect and upload you program to the MCU. USB data cable needs to be connected on CN1 as indicated by the red rectangle.

SofLit_1-1726131460553.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

What I am using to compile the code is Ubuntu Linux. Beyond that and typing up a simple list of commands, I don't use any external tools. I wanted to try CubeProgrammer but I could never get it to work on Ubuntu.

Apologies for the delayed response.