cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L4 current consumption is more than expected.

dhs
Senior

I am working with a NUCLEO_l452RE, temperature 25°C, 1.8V, and I am measuring current on JP6, so I tried to reproduce:

0693W00000WJ7GbQAL.png 

I set up MSI@1Mhz, I got 280uA, much more than 100uA which I was expecting.

Later with MSI@24Mhz, I got 3.24 mA, 135uA/MHz, closer to 100uA.

I disable UART, RCC, LED, disconnect the USB port, and used an external power supply.

There is a bias in current consumption about 180uA? there is something I can do to mitigate it?

On en.fistm324l.pdf I found another number of current consumption, I am very confused about what to expect.

0693W00000WJ7FeQAL.png 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Finally, it started working, I am reading:

• 65uA MSI @ 1MHz sleep run
  • 130uA MSI @ 1MHZ low-power run

I had a mix of problems

• My tester connected to JP6, doesn't let the microcontroller reset properly, I had to disconnect and connect again, and later I changed it to one with less impedance.
  • Sometimes I forgot to include HAL_SuspendTick()

I am used to working with msp430, peripherical are more low-power targeted, but stm32l4 is starting to like me very much.

0693W00000WJMzHQAX.png 

0693W00000WJN1cQAH.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Piranha
Chief II
dhs
Senior

The link is about deeper low-power modes, I ran my own tests and got matched consumptions with ST technical data from stop 1 and deeper modes but, I got about 180uA more for other modes, RUN, range 1 and 2, LPRUN and SLEEP

It is possible setup a project using CUBE MX for 100uA @ MSI = 1MHz run mode?

I have a few núcleo-64 borads all L4 series

Regards, Daniel

As I said, issues 2, 3 and partly 4 are relevant for all low-power modes.

Sarra.S
ST Employee

Hello @dhs​,

first of all, I advice to always refer to the datasheet to know the current consumption reference.

for the NUCLEO_L452RE, in LPRun mode at 25°C and MSI = 1MHz, the current consumption should be between 130 and 170 μA.

0693W00000WJLDgQAP.png 

Are you sure all peripherals are disabled ?

also, it's useful to set all free pins as analog in CubeMX to reduce the power consumption

0693W00000WJLHiQAP.png 

Thank you!

Sarra

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Finally, it started working, I am reading:

• 65uA MSI @ 1MHz sleep run
  • 130uA MSI @ 1MHZ low-power run

I had a mix of problems

• My tester connected to JP6, doesn't let the microcontroller reset properly, I had to disconnect and connect again, and later I changed it to one with less impedance.
  • Sometimes I forgot to include HAL_SuspendTick()

I am used to working with msp430, peripherical are more low-power targeted, but stm32l4 is starting to like me very much.

0693W00000WJMzHQAX.png 

0693W00000WJN1cQAH.jpg