cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L152 - EVAL board with DALI interface

MNage
Associate II

Hi Team, Planning to interface DALI interface to STM31L152- EVAL board kindly suggest me.

STM32L152 EVAL - Master

DALI 4 channel LED dimmer - slave

Dali click2 Board - Bridge 

So, How can i use DALI stack library ....is that direct ST provided code can use...??? or any other tool (MiKroSDK /Mikro C pro for ARM) required...???

I found STM32L152 Slave library is STM cannot be used as master if it is then DALI library for STM how can be used....its not available with ST. could not abe find in STM site..???

please help me by providing example or any application note for How to implement DALI with STM31L152-EVAL as beginner....???

Quick reply much appreciated.

Can someone reply please on these above question if known or kindly provide ST technical support Mail-id or contact .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Igor Cesko
ST Employee

The DALI library is only for the Slave - because master is more complex. DALI Slave device should support only limited functionality which is required for given function - usually some lamp dimming. In our DALI Slave library is implementation for the slave of type "LED" or "bulb" device with all necessary functions. Those slave device was tested in final customer application.

The DALI master should cover all possible DALI slaves and commands (for all DALI slaves - as: dimmers, switches, all types of light sources, ... ). DALI master is more application specific and usually integrates user interface (keyboard, display, ... ) with given application specifics. It is usually more complex and it is not included in the STM32 DALI Slave library.

Our DALI Slave library was originally written for lower end STM8S devices and then ported to STM32 devices. The source codes can be downloaded after login/register. The porting to another devices is simple - because the DALI stack is the same and what need to be ported is the hardware layer (HAL) - which controls the communication through GPIO pins: transmit/receive. Code is not using STM32 HAL - because at development time the STM32 didn't exists yet (but HAL layer should be used only for the hardware layer, the DALI stack is pure software).

Regards

Igor

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MNage
Associate II

Can someone reply please on these above question or kindly provide ST technical support Mail-id or contact .

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @MNage​ ,

On ST web site, we have UM1629 (STM32L1xx DALI slave interface). It describes the implementation of the Digital Addressable Lighting Interface (DALI) into

the STM32L1xx 32-bit microcontroller family.

As introduced there, we speak about  STM32L DALI slave library that was tested according to the DALI specification. 

The library is STSW-DALI002 and it can be downloaded from this link.

What I understood from your initial post, you need the source code of this library. In this case, you need to contact nearest sales office (as precised in UM1629, page 10).

You can select a contact depending on your location, or submit an online request here.

Please keep us informed about how things are going with you.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @Amel NASRI​ ,

Thank you so much for your quick response. It helps me. I referred almost all the details given by you but i have a confusion let me explain my requirement.

i mentioned my req in previous post also .Please find the below image just for high level understanding

0693W000003RMcSQAW.jpg

Kindly clarify me below points.

• I am using STM32L162ZE using as a master and slave can be LED dimmer/DALI driver(as shown in image) but i found Slave_DALI library of STM32L152EVAL board from link provided by you in above post.

Do we have separate Master Library ...??? or Slave library only and its also just kind of application not Complete DALI library it seems is it right..???

• We found the Libstock supported from Microelcetronika but for that we need to purchase MicroSDK IDE it does not suits for my requirement as i am using development in KEIL(MDK-ARM) already and here my basic question was
  • Does ST have all DALI Library Source code which works for my requirement(like master and slave complete DALI protocol) to develop my

application (like having HAL library) .....??? if available well and good i can go nearest office(as you provided link) and buy...please let me know technical contact.

• If ST have Complete DALI library(DALI protocol)supports STM32L1xx we are planning to purchase and kindly provide the details.
  • meanwhile trying to contact sales team unfortunately no one picking call if any mailid please provide
  • 0693W000003RMlPQAW.jpg
  • Hope you understood my sincere concern kindly revert me asap.

Quick reply much appreciated

Thanks & Regards

Mallikharjuna Rao

Hi @MNage​ ,

This topic is out of my area of expertise, I am trying to contact some experts internally on this regard.

Nevertheless, an FAE assistance is required in your case as I cannot guarantee to find an answer to all your questions.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Igor Cesko
ST Employee

The DALI library is only for the Slave - because master is more complex. DALI Slave device should support only limited functionality which is required for given function - usually some lamp dimming. In our DALI Slave library is implementation for the slave of type "LED" or "bulb" device with all necessary functions. Those slave device was tested in final customer application.

The DALI master should cover all possible DALI slaves and commands (for all DALI slaves - as: dimmers, switches, all types of light sources, ... ). DALI master is more application specific and usually integrates user interface (keyboard, display, ... ) with given application specifics. It is usually more complex and it is not included in the STM32 DALI Slave library.

Our DALI Slave library was originally written for lower end STM8S devices and then ported to STM32 devices. The source codes can be downloaded after login/register. The porting to another devices is simple - because the DALI stack is the same and what need to be ported is the hardware layer (HAL) - which controls the communication through GPIO pins: transmit/receive. Code is not using STM32 HAL - because at development time the STM32 didn't exists yet (but HAL layer should be used only for the hardware layer, the DALI stack is pure software).

Regards

Igor

MNage
Associate II

thanks @Igor Cesko​ ,

SO what i understood that the master( STM32L162xx) looks complex and ST have only DALI slave Library...

As mentioned in application note page 10 (https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00082096-stm32l1xx-dali-slave-interface-stmicroelectronics.pdf) need to contact sales office to purchase the complete DALI stack library in that case if we can purchase that using that DALI stack can we implement our application ...???

STM32L162xx -> Master

LED driver -> slave

can we implement DALI protocol by using STM provided DALI Stack Library ...if we buy the complete source code of DALI stack library...???

Kindly reply to me so that i will proceed.

Igor Cesko
ST Employee

We have only DALI Slave implementation (not a master).

The source files can be downloaded from this webpage:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/evaluation-tool-software/stsw-dali002.html

... after registration.

Can you download those source files?

The DALI Slave implementation can be used as starting point to start implementation of DALI master. Simple DALI master is possible to implement by modification of the DALI Slave source files. But you must study DALI master requirements in the DALI specification.

Regards

Igor