cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 ADC dual mode simultanious mode problem

Mr_M_from_G
Senior II

Hello,

I am working with STM32H743, using ADC1 and 2 in dual simultanious mode, using DMA to store data from ADC_CDR (2 16 bit values) to memory, some hundred values in a stream in continuous mode. This works fine in general but I frequently see a missynchronisation between the two ADCs so that at the output of DMA I have in one 32bit word the lower half word from one ADC1 conversion of one point in time and in the upper half word the ADC2 conversion from the preceeding or succeeding point in time (I didn't check which of the two, but it is only one of them).

I read RM0433 ADC section up and down and could not find anything about that. It seems to be more related to hardware, that sometimes triggering DMA does not properly wait for both ADCs to be ready and have their data transfered to ACD_CDR. But it is not occuring or not from sample to sample but it is there for one complete data stream or not, so it seems to be set or not with every setting of ADSTART.

Here is my ADC init code:

#define SetBitMask(Var,BitMask) (Var|=(BitMask))

SetBitMask (ADC1->CFGR, ADC_CFGR_RES_0);  // 14 bit
  SetBitMask (ADC2->CFGR, ADC_CFGR_RES_0);  // 14 bit
  SetBitMask (ADC1->DIFSEL, ADC_DIFSEL_DIFSEL_3);
  SetBitMask (ADC2->DIFSEL, ADC_DIFSEL_DIFSEL_4);
  ADC1->OFR1 = 0x8000 | (3 << ADC_OFR1_OFFSET1_CH_Pos); // offset for 16 bit signed values
  ADC2->OFR1 = 0x8000 | (4 << ADC_OFR1_OFFSET1_CH_Pos); // offset for 16 bit signed values
  ADC1->SQR1 = (3 << ADC_SQR1_SQ1_Pos) | (1-1); 
  ADC1->PCSEL = 1 << 3;
  ADC1->SMPR1 = 0; // 1.5 clk cycles sampling time
  ADC2->SQR1 = (4 << ADC_SQR1_SQ1_Pos) | (1-1);
  ADC2->PCSEL = 1 << 4;
  ADC2->SMPR1 = 0; // 1.5 clk cycles sampling time

// the above settings result in:
  // for the two differential channels 3 and 4: 14 bit res, formatted as signed values -8192..8191, input res = 0.4mV diff / count
  // for the other = single ended channels: 14 bit res, formatted as unsigned values 0.. 16383, input res = 0.2mV / count
  // in continuous conversion mode (selected below) we get 1.5 + 7.5 = 9 clock cycles conversion time = 9 * 1/34,56 MHz = 260,417nsec corresp. to 3840 kSps

// injected channels :
  // put them in the sequence so that ADC1 is in JDR1, ADC2 is in JDR2, ADC3 is in JDR3, where ADC1 = PA1, ADC2 = PA2, ADC3 = PA3
  ADC1->JSQR = (17 << ADC_JSQR_JSQ1_Pos) | (14 << ADC_JSQR_JSQ2_Pos) | (15 << ADC_JSQR_JSQ3_Pos) | (3-1);
  ADC1->PCSEL |= (1 << 14) | (1 << 15) | (1 << 17);
  ADC1->SMPR2 = (4 << ADC_SMPR2_SMP14_Pos) | (4 << ADC_SMPR2_SMP15_Pos) | (4 << ADC_SMPR2_SMP17_Pos); // 4 = 32.5 clk cycles, slow channels: max 1Msps

SetBitMask (ADC12_COMMON->CCR, ADC_CCR_DUAL_0 | ADC_CCR_DAMDF_1); // dual mode with output to ADC_CDR
  SetBitMask (ADC1->CFGR, ADC_CFGR_CONT | ADC_CFGR_DMNGT_0  | ADC_CFGR_DMNGT_1); // ADC in continuous mode and in DMA circular mode

Is there any information about that?

Anybody experienced the same? - and solved it 😉

Thanks a lot

Martin

22 REPLIES 22

Indeed, it says that, but that doesn't work.

It seems to work when the slave has a shorter sampling time, but maybe also not correctly. In figure 202 it shows examples with master and slave having different sample times, so it not exactly clear when it would be possible to use different sampling times and when the same sampling time has to be used. But in any case using the same sampling time should work, but it fires the DMA request when the master value is updated and the slave value is still the previous value.

In fig. 202 it looks more like the digitization time is different, but the sampling time is the same.

By the way, what is your triggering rate? Did you check that the sampling + digitization time is less than the trigger period?

You're right, but the effect is the same I'd say. It should wait with DMA until both master and slave are ready.

I'm triggering in software in the DMA interrupt handler, so it cannot overlap.

Mr_M_from_G
Senior II

Hello all,

thanks Piers for posting your description of the same problem.

Now that we see clearly that this is not a problem of a single project but seems to be a hardware issue of the ADC peripheral I want to call ST members to give their statement to this. Is this a known problem? Can you reproduce it in your labs. Are there plans to fix it with the next revision?

Thanks for some clarifying notes

kind regards

Martin

Mr_M_from_G
Senior II

Hello ST community and ST employees in particular,

the last days I had a really hard time finding an error in my project and it turned out to be this again. Although the two signals sampled with ADC1 and ADC2 are in phase by design they are not when looking at the ADC_CDR output,, there is a shift by one sample.

This is really a hardware bug and it is embarrassing for ST to not even just put it into the errata.

PAkRad
Associate III

Hello all.

We have developed in the past some devices using the STM32F4 and F7 families, with no issues using ADC+DMA+Timer Triggering with no effort (mostly tweaking the examples provided by ST and using the ioc Cube files).

However, we are trying to do the same, but we are finding big issues with the H7 family, in specific when we use more than one ADC (to my knowledge this example is not provided by ST yet). There are also problems with the DMA (we have reader and moved the data buffers to RAM D2 area) and we do not see the triggering of the DMA interrupt with the Timer trigger.

Maybe somebody in the forum knows one repository or is able to share a simple example of this structure (if it is based on STM32Cubemx ioc file the better, since for it will be easier to add things).

Thank you in advance.

FMoll.1
Associate

Hello guys,

About 3 weeks ago I encountered some problems about using ADC and DMA in simultaneous mode configuration. I noticed the forward shift of one adc channel inside DMA ( of the slave ADC in particularly).

I carefully read your conversation and it seems that my problem is the same.

Do you have some news about this ticket?

Hi Fmoll,
thanks for reporting your issue.
No, I don’t have any new information about that. Also ST members have never posted any comment.
I think we have to collect more cases here, yours is number three or four
So if anyone read this case and has the same issue, please post here 😉

@Mr_M_from_G wrote:

Hello ST community and ST employees in particular,

the last days I had a really hard time finding an error in my project and it turned out to be this again. Although the two signals sampled with ADC1 and ADC2 are in phase by design they are not when looking at the ADC_CDR output,, there is a shift by one sample.

This is really a hardware bug and it is embarrassing for ST to not even just put it into the errata.

I am seeing the same behaviour,is there any known solution to this?

Best Regards

@FMoll.1 wrote:

Hello guys,

About 3 weeks ago I encountered some problems about using ADC and DMA in simultaneous mode configuration. I noticed the forward shift of one adc channel inside DMA ( of the slave ADC in particularly).

I carefully read your conversation and it seems that my problem is the same.

Do you have some news about this ticket?

I see I am not the only one seeing the ADC slave channel has a phase shift of one sample being ahead of ADC master.