Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4, wish list for 2012.

Asantos
Senior
Posted on January 06, 2012 at 19:30

1 - STM32F405RE / RC

2 - Analog comparator with DAC reference.

3 - Embedded ethernet phyter.

4 - PGA.

#least-likely-prediction-for-2013
21 REPLIES 21
Posted on January 11, 2012 at 18:32

11. Decent documentation for the peripheral libraries.

I understand there are issues with this, but it's mind numbingly boring stuff, and the people best placed to understand the minutia won't be writing it. It is also hard to aim, the same people who want incredible detail, and laboured explanations, are the same ones who won't read/digest the Reference Manual. There is no spoon. Net result is that we will not see something that will make everyone happy. What's needed is a very deep library of clean and working examples, and perhaps some interactive wizard/fitter tools to connect the dots that are hard to follow in reams of printed documentation and manuals.

A better wish would be that ST FAE's supporting the STM32 series actually participate and contribute on the forum instead of lurking, or being visibly/glaringly/purposefully absent.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
disirio2
Senior
Posted on January 12, 2012 at 09:22

I would add also (from the point of view of a SW developer):

14. More alternate streams for peripherals using DMA, some peripherals don't have alternate streams at all. The F2/F4 implement this new flexible remapping mechanism, use all the gaps in those tables and let each peripheral have 2 or 3 alternatives.

15. Remove shared IRQs, it makes harder to write elegant code.

16. Increase the number of priorities in the CMx core to 32 or 64. This would increase the priority space to effectively use sub priorities.

17. If possible avoid differences among similar resources, lots of different timers, different U(S)ARTs etc, arrays of uniform resources make writing and maintaining support code easier.

18) Improved I2C peripheral, the current one requires polling in order to wait the end of STOP in master mode, not nice.

Giovanni
rmteo
Associate II
Posted on January 12, 2012 at 17:47

The nice thing about working with ARM MCUs today is the huge variety of devices available (from different manufacturers) that you do not need to use anything else.  Everything from stuff to replace cost-sensitive 8-bit apps (eg. LPC111x and STM32F100) to devices that nip at the the heels of ARM9/11 and Cortex-A application processors (such as the dual-core LPC43XX at 200+ MHz with support for external FLASH, SRAM, SDRAM etc.).  I use devices from Energy Micro (for extreme low-power apps), FreeScale Kinetis (which has recently announced a dual-core device with a Cortex-M4 and a Cortex-A4 AP), NXP and ST.  By not limiting myself to one brand/maker, there is always some available part that makes it the most cost-effective and efficient solution to the application at hand.

digital_dreamer
Associate II
Posted on January 14, 2012 at 08:58

How about something like NXP's new Serial GPIO?

''...to 

interface to any non-standard serial interface or to mimic multiple standard serial interfaces.''

''...

combine general-purpose I/O with a timer/shift register and can be used to create orcapture multiple real-time serial data streams. Thiseliminates the need for code loops that manipulateGPIO in real time, and provides an easy-to-use alternative to CPU-intensive “bit banging�?. SGPIO 

can also be configured to provide designers an extra standard serial interface (UART, I2S, I2C, etc.).

''

I have not bothered to see how it's implemented, but it sounds interesting, however.

MAJ
mm
Associate II
Posted on January 22, 2013 at 20:08

Here the wishlist from germany:

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/284228?goto=3011203#3010088

We hope some STM developers read it 🙂

Stephen1
Associate II
Posted on January 23, 2013 at 12:03

''FreeScale Kinetis (which has recently announced a dual-core device with a Cortex-M4 and a Cortex-A4 AP)''

SMO>> Do you have a web-link (news item ,datasheet, link to Freescale website) for this part? It sounds interesting but my search has proven fruitless.

Many thanks,

SteveO.

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on January 23, 2013 at 14:06

SMO>> Do you have a web-link (news item ,datasheet, link to Freescale website) for this part? It sounds interesting but my search has proven fruitless.

Probably a matter of search word combination ...

How about that:

http://media.freescale.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=196520&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1620949

Or that:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?code=VYBRID&fsrch=1&sr=1

But seems it isn't so new after all.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist II
Posted on January 23, 2013 at 14:26

''A better wish would be that ST ... actually participate and contribute on the forum''

We can but dream...

Nickname12657_O
Associate III
Posted on January 23, 2013 at 17:31

Hi All,

We are here... So what will be your ''STM32 wish list for 2013''

Cheers,

STOne-32
Posted on January 23, 2013 at 18:03

> We are here... So what will be your ''STM32 wish list for 2013''

1. Get a decent forum software.

2. Be here and comment.