cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 Power supply ripple voltage

shin212
Associate II

Hi, 

What is acceptable ripple voltage on power supply pins on stm32? 

I am using DC/DC converter and have 100mVpkp at the output (+3.3V). I tied VDD and VDDA pin to one power supply as I am not planning to utilize an internal ADC. I am just planning to use this mcu to read analog signal from an external ADC and generate PWMs. Is 100mVpkp critical for this application? I have attached a snapshot of the schematic! Let me know if I need to clarify anything. Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pierre_Paris
ST Employee

I just found this application note about designing with STM32 in noisy environments.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pierre_Paris
ST Employee

Hello @shin212,

Thank you for your question!

What is the exact name of the STM32F1 you are using ?

I don't think 100mVpkp is critical in this case. Indeed, I saw in your snapshot you respected the power supply scheme of the DS. The capacitors will filter the ripple.

Can you consider trying your converter with the ripple on the 3.3v as an external source on a Nucleo-STM32F1 and verify proper operation ?

Best Regards,

Pierre

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi, 

It's stm32F103CBT6. I already tried with an external power supply and provide power to mcu. With an external power supply (3.3V)there is less noise (Almost none) .100mVpkp dose not get reduced with decoupling capacitors and with increasing output capacitor of DC/DC converter! 

LCE
Principal

I'd rather try to reduce the ripple at the source.

Check inductor and capacitors of the switching regulator, and the layout: switching power paths must be as short as possible, especially GND of input caps, output caps and IC must be as short as possible.

Pierre_Paris
ST Employee

Have you consider a BEAD for your application between the VDD and the VDDA ?

Also, its really restrictive.

LCE
Principal

Unless the ripple is >> 1 MHz a ferrite bead won't help much.

Pierre_Paris
ST Employee

I just found this application note about designing with STM32 in noisy environments.