cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stm32f429 disc1 board

harry123
Senior

Will my gpio pin gets effected if I give a voltage of 4v because my board Is not working it is getting heated once i connect the supply through usb.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Internally, there are protection diodes which protect over-voltage conditions. These are present for emergency situations to avoid damaging the chip. However, they are not meant to be used all the time. Eventually, they will degrade and wear out due to accumulation of thermal and electrical stress.

If you want to learn more, you can look up accumulation of damage due to ESD events to understand what is happening at the silicon level. Just because it works once doesn't mean it will always work.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

You need to give more details:

https://community.st.com/t5/community-guidelines/how-to-write-your-question-to-maximize-your-chances-to-find-a/ta-p/575228

@harry123 wrote:

Will my gpio pin gets effected if I give a voltage of 4v

What GPIO are you using? Is it 5V tolerant?

@harry123 wrote:

my board Is not working it is getting heated once i connect the supply through usb.

More details on that.

What else do you have connected?

1) I'm using Stm32f429 disc 1 board

2)I wanted to measure a signal using internal adc with reference voltage of 3.3v . The gpios I'm using are pa2,pa3,pa6 all are of different voltages of 2.7v, 2v and 4v.

3) Suddenly the board stopped working and it's showing st link not detected when I start debugging.

images (1).jpeg

Pins are not 5V tolerant when they're in analog mode (e.g. being used by the ADC). Putting them above VREF can damage the board.

If you remove the voltage and the board works okay, good, but something may have been damaged.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Is there any way that I can find what has happened as it was working fine with 4v for many months.

You've over-stressed the part.

Over-stressing won't necessarily cause immediate failure but the longer you keep it over-stressed, the more likely it is to fail.

Same as if you overload a car - you might get away with it initially but, sooner or later, something will break.

Internally, there are protection diodes which protect over-voltage conditions. These are present for emergency situations to avoid damaging the chip. However, they are not meant to be used all the time. Eventually, they will degrade and wear out due to accumulation of thermal and electrical stress.

If you want to learn more, you can look up accumulation of damage due to ESD events to understand what is happening at the silicon level. Just because it works once doesn't mean it will always work.

• Now I want to make a custom board for the same stm32f429 disc 1  with the required features Stm32f429 custom board schematic  
  • How can I replace the stlink part with the external debugger what are all the pin that I should bring out from the MCU part 
  • Which is the ideal debugger for the custom board I want it to work same like disc1.

Or you had a poor ground connection between your assorted supplies, and the electrons found a different path with a much more significant potential difference..

3) Learn through failure, purchase a new board. Have better isolation, and read data sheets.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

This is the schematic of my custom board Stm32f529 board can there be any issues in it I cannot able to find the problem