cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master/Slave problem on TIM3 in STM32L476 - slave not counting when ITR2 selected

Hello,

I am working on the NUCLEO-L476RG board. I am trying to use two pairs of counters in master/ slave mode. In the first chain TIM2 is the master and TIM4 is the slave so in SMCR of TIM4 ITR1 is selected and this works as expected. In the second chain TIM5 is the master and TIM3 is the slave so in SMCR of TIM3 ITR2 is selected and this does not work. Using the debugger I can see that TIM5 is counting but TIM3 is not. Also I have configured GPIO so that I can see action on oscilloscope.

I have tried setting SMCR of TIM3 to ITR0 (TIM1 master) and that works

I have tried setting SMCR of TIM3 to ITR1 (TIM2 master) and that works

I have tried setting SMCR of TIM3 to ITR3 (TIM4 master) and that works

Why does TIM3 not count when SMCR is set to ITR2 and TIM5 is master?

Reference Table 201 in RM0351

In all instances the master TIM has MMS in CR2 set to 2, UPDATE.

Thanks,

Chris

13 REPLIES 13

Over the years I've concluded that some offices and conference rooms have low oxygen levels leading to mistakes and poor decisions. ​Or it could be that things aren't well thought through, and no one checks for accuracy and completeness of anything anymore.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello,

This is raised internally for check and correction.

Kind Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Is there no related clickey in CubeMX?

JW

Hello Imen,

Why has the change been made to replace TIM5 with TIM15 on ITR2? I ask because this now makes STM32L series different from the STM32F series.

I imagine it is too late to add a bit in an option register to make an option of either TIM5 or TIM15 for compatibility.

Kind regards,

Chris