cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any drawbacks in running the MCU (STM32H7xx (550MHz)) with its maximum frequency ?

Arrhenius
Associate III

7 REPLIES 7
SofLit
ST Employee

Dear @Arrhenius​ ,

Which H7 part number you are referring to? STM32H72x/STM32H73x ?

SofLit

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Arrhenius
Associate III

Hi @Community member​ ,

Thanks for responding swiftly.

I am using STM32H723ZG.

Dear @Arrhenius​ ,

More frequency -> more power consumption -> more thermal dissipation ..

But for more details you need to refer to the datasheet and reference manual of the product and of course the related Errata sheet.

SofLit

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

See also AN5337. Here is my comment to it.

Given your nick, you probably know much more about the consequences of running chips hot... 🙂

High clocks imply also potentially more problems with EM emissions, and increased power consumption also implies more problems with power supplies and proper power/ground distribution.

JW

Arrhenius
Associate III

Dear @Community member​ ,

Okay. I will have a look at those documents in detail. Meanwhile, I have another question related to the clock.

Is there any nominal frequency defined for STM32H72xx controllers?

Hello,

What do you mean by "nominal frequency"?

For a given application you have to ask: what is the performance needed what is the power consumption to not exceed, power dissipation etc..

For each frequency range there is a voltage scale to be used, Flash latency to choose based on the frequency used etc ..

In the datasheet there are a lot of information about electrical parameters that you need in order to tune your application based on your needs.

Also, according to the RM0468/page 140, there is this statement:

The ECC is always active except when the CPU frequency boost feature is used. In that case the ECC is no more active on TCM RAMs. The CPU frequency boost can be enabled through the CPUFREQ_BOOST option byte in FLASH_OPTSR2_PRG register.

So, if you need to work at 550MHz you need to activate CPUFREQ_BOOST which will prevent you to use ECC feature for TCM RAMs (ITCM/DTCM).

You need to read the product documentations in order to choose the right parameters for your application.

SofLit

Arrhenius
Associate III

Okay got it.

Thanks for the support @Community member​ .

I will read the necessary documentation.