cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas to revive stm32f401re board?

plate30
Associate II

I have a problem with Nucleo STM32F401RE board. For unknown reason the board stopped communicating with PC in debug modes, STM32CubeProgrammer, giving the errors such as: "Error: No STM32 target found!". The PC recognizes the board when connected, however, the PC shows that the board has only 12kB of free space, and inside the drive it contains FAIL.txt file which says the following: "The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU". I have tried the following to fix the problem (unsuccesfully):

• Updating ST-LINK
  • Using "Connect under reset" mode in STMCubeProgrammer (also tried with pressing the reset button, setting the BOOT0 pin high etc.)
  • Erasing chip in ST-LINK utility (also tried erasing with pressing the reset button etc.)
  • Checking the connections between ST-LINK and MCU according to schematics. All connections are fine except for STLINK_TX and STLINK_RX which do not seem to have a contact between STLINK and MCU (could this be the problem or am I misunderstanding something?)
  • Checking voltage regulators on board - all of them are outputting correct voltages
  • Checking for heating components - the board is as cold as ice.
  • All the jumpers are in place

Points worth mentioning:

• st-link LED LD1 is constantly red.
  • ST-LINK seems to be functioning, because I was able to update the ST-LINK driver.
  • STMCubeProgrammer recognizes the board correctly, shows the voltage of 3.3V, however still fails to connect to the MCU.

Given that electronics components nowadays are facing a crisis, I would love to revive this board instead of waiting for a month for a new board.

6 REPLIES 6

Check the voltages to the chip.

Check voltages on VCAP capacitors.

Check level on NRST.

Do you have the skills to desolder and replace the STM32F401 device?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you for your answer!

• Both 3.3V and 5V are present on the chip.
  • VCAP1 on pin 30 has a voltage of 2.6V, VCAP1 on pin 31 has a voltage of 0.0V. VCAP2 on pin 47 has a voltage of 0.0V (schematic attached below).
  • NRST is 3.3V at the moment of turning on the board and switches to 0V after a short time.

Do you mean replacing the MCU? Yes, I can.

Also, the Idd (measured on JP6) is 10-11mA.

0693W00000NpsJ6QAJ.png

VCAP1(30) should be around 1.20-1.25V on a working part

NRST should remain HIGH

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Piranha
Chief II

Try setting both of these simultaneously:

• Mode = Connect Under Reset
  • Reset Mode = Hardware Reset

Would replacing the mcu help?

Doesn’t help :(