cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start PWM using the registers.

DK.7
Senior

What am I doing wrong?

Why is PWM don't work on the STM32F767ZI?

RCC->APB2ENR |= 1; // Enable clock for TIM1 on APB2.
RCC->AHB1ENR |= RCC_AHB1ENR_GPIOEEN; // Enable clock for GPIOE port on AHB1.

GPIOE->MODER &= ~(1 << 18); // Clear/reset PE9 mode.
GPIOE->MODER |= (2 << 18); // Set PE9 mode.

// Enable alternative function AFIO. Connect TIM to the pin accordingly!
GPIOE->AFR[1] &= ~(0xF << 4); // Clear bits 4 to 7.
GPIOE->AFR[1] |= (1 << 4); // Set bit 9.

TIM1->PSC = 216 - 1; // Set prescaler for > 10KHz.
TIM1->ARR = 100 - 1; // Set auto-reload value for 1Hz.
TIM1->CCR1 = 50; // Set initial comparison value (PWM duty cycle).
TIM1->CNT = 0; // Reset the current count.

TIM1->CCMR1 |= (0x6UL << TIM_CCMR1_OC1M_Pos ); // Set PWM mode 1.
TIM1->CCMR1 |= (0x68 << 0);

TIM1->CCER = 1; // Enable PWM Channel 1.
TIM1->CR1 = 1; // Enable timer.

Q1.pngQ2.pngQ3.png

13 REPLIES 13
TDK
Guru

On advanced timers, you need to set the MOE bit in the BDTR register to enable output.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you for the response! I have set the necessary values in the register TIM1->BDTR->MOI.
But still, nothing is working!
The same settings work when using the HAL library! However, I'm not able to get it to work with the registers!

Q4.png

TDK
Guru

Not real sure. Is this a custom board or ST design? Might not be hooked up how you think. Recheck schematic.

Set up PE9 as a GPIO output and toggle it. to verify it connects to what you think it does.

You can also examine GPIOx->IDR register when PWM is active. For a 50% PWM, it should be toggling between 0 and 1 with equal probability.

What does "PWM don't work" mean here specifically? How are you verifying that it's active/inactive?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I checked it with a digital analyzer and an oscilloscope, see photo! The result is no signal with the same behavior on both devices.

I have a regular NUCLEO-F767ZI board that works perfectly if I create a project using the HAL library. However, when I try to implement a similar project using only registers, nothing works!1.png

So why dont you just use the working HAL , then look in debug , what the start_pwm_chxx  or whatever is doing - then you see, what you have to write to the TIM registers.

Or (as i did sometimes) just look in SFR view, what registers are set to some values, then set it to this values just by write to registers, without any HAL then. And you have it running...

This is the first thing that comes to mind - just compare the registers from the working project on HAL and set the same ones in the project on the registers. That's what I've been doing, but I might be missing something! And if you look at millions of solution options on YouTube for BluePill and for the stm32f4-series, they all start working after the steps I mentioned in the first message. But that's not enough for the H7 series.

Question: Where are the macros or defines written that you configure in the window shown in the screenshot? Maybe if I set the necessary values there...TIM1.png

LCE
Principal

I have down this for a F767 Nucleo some years ago, I'm pretty sure it worked, just a little bit clock enable and GPIO HAL stuff:

/* TIM11 Initialization Function
  * 		PWM output for testing,
  *		GPIO PF7
  */

/* "manual" register settings, safer than Cube HAL stuff */
void MX_TIM11_Init(void)
{
	GPIO_InitTypeDef GPIO_InitStruct = { 0 };

/* Peripheral clock enable */
	__HAL_RCC_TIM11_CLK_ENABLE();

TIM11->CR1	= 0;
	TIM11->DIER 	= 0;
	TIM11->PSC	= 7;
	TIM11->ARR	= 29;			/* auto-reload: PWM frequency */
	TIM11->CCR1	= TIM11->ARR >> 1;	/* 50% duty cycle */
	TIM11->EGR	= 0;
	TIM11->CCMR1	= TIM_CCMR1_OC1M_2 | TIM_CCMR1_OC1M_1;
	TIM11->CCER	= TIM_CCER_CC1E | TIM_CCER_CC1P;
	TIM11->OR	= 0;

TIM11->CNT 	= 0;
	TIM11->SR	= 0;

/* Configure GPIO pin : Timer 11 channel output compare PWM PF7 */
	/* TIM11 GPIO Configuration PF7     ------> TIM11_CH1 */
	GPIO_InitStruct.Pin 		= GPIO_PIN_7;
	GPIO_InitStruct.Mode 		= GPIO_MODE_AF_PP;
	GPIO_InitStruct.Pull 		= GPIO_NOPULL;
	GPIO_InitStruct.Speed 		= GPIO_SPEED_FREQ_MEDIUM;//GPIO_SPEED_FREQ_HIGH;
	GPIO_InitStruct.Alternate 	= GPIO_AF3_TIM11;
	HAL_GPIO_Init(GPIOF, &GPIO_InitStruct);

/* TIM11 enable */
	TIM11->CR1 = TIM_CR1_ARPE | TIM_CR1_CEN;
}

>Where are the macros or defines written that you configure in the window 

1. in main.c :  MX_TIM1_Init ()

2. in stmxxxx_hal_msp.c :  HAL_TIM_Base_MspInit () HAL_TIM_MspPostInit ()

Thank you, I saw that, and this is for the project on HAL. But what should I do when my project is on registers? Should I write everything myself? You'll answer to me... To which I will respond, "Look at my first post," and that doesn't work! And I don't understand what I'm missing!?