cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot find a single STM32H7 series chip at any of the standard sellers in North America while the STM32MP series can be found anywhere, so my question is;What does support, in terms of manufacturing, of the STM32H7 look like in the future?

rwareinc
Associate III

I refuse to purchase a $40 chip for over $400 dollars so will not purchase on current market.

I based an entire product line on the STM32H757 and now I cannot buy them so the real question is, should I move to a different processor?

11 REPLIES 11

You should order parts with 40-50 week lead times EARLIER in your process.

Retail distribution holds very shallow stock levels for people who show up randomly, it's hard to plan for people that don't plan, and the supply chain issues have been going on for 2+ years as others have laddered orders in for parts, and demand out strips production.

It's like going to Dunkin Donuts at 6PM and wondering why there is a very sad selection of "fresh" donuts.

The STM32MP parts are less popular, and go into systems with more parts, some of which may have similar availability issues. Plus it's Embedded Linux, so a different type of development experience too,

Allow for multiple foot-prints for FLASH memories, SOIC16W allows for a broader selection of parts

Consider STM32 part foot-prints and "pin compatibility" so that multiple different parts may be usable. Watch the pins and BoM options needed to accommodate this "compatibility". Having DSI probably a significant complication here.

Consider other vendors, less popular parts may have better availability, but this is an industry wide issue, and running to the same side of a listing ship doesn't always improve the odds.

Commit early, I could probably have made more money arbitraging parts than building products, not sure how long that's going to last, but there's still likely margin to sell parts on if you change your mind before delivery.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Bob S
Principal

Global supply chains are still messed up/recovering from Covid. As @Community member​ says (quite often as this kind of question keeps popping up), get your orders into your suppliers to get your place in line, design your boards to take multiple CPU variants (ST usually has pin-compatible parts across lines, or compatible with a few mods to the pcbs). <--- badly paraphrased from his usual posts.

The parts are still in production. Its just production trying to catch back up with the pent up demand.

Mouser and DigiKey do have email alerting on stock availability, the IT guys probably had some time to focus on making that work in this environment. But it's one of those first come first served opportunities, so you typically need to act immediately.

Also there can be limits on purchase sizes, and shadow stock. Got some H5 NUCLEO's the other week by back ordering against inventory that never showed up on the retail portal. Guessing some things barely get warm on the loading dock before getting sent on.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
rwareinc
Associate III

Bob,

I appreciate your response.

Just to be clear, we purchased 5 years worth of parts (based on sales predictions) prior to rollout but Covid seems to have taken out a few of our competitors so the product is moving at ~3x the predicted rate... a good problem to have but still a problem, I have about 1 year before stock goes dry (at current sales levels) so I have a limited window to determine if I need to go into development mode again.

If you are confident the chip is still in production I could bide my time but, not to be pedantic, there is some risk here and I was wondering what your sources might be?

I am not doubting you so much as trying to cover my bases.

rwareinc
Associate III

Tesla,

We are constantly in line at all the majors but have been falling short on the part mentioned however, you 2nd comment does bring up some interesting points. I think I'll try contacting some of the vendors personally. That may change things.

Thanks.

LCE
Principal

Contact the sales people at ST directly, order in advance.

They told me "allocation" would take 2 to 3 quarters, at least in Europe.

KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @rwareinc​ ,

I escalated your request internally, and we will contact you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your contribution in ST community.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

rwareinc
Associate III

Kaouthar,

Thank you for taking this on, I have been an ST fan and customer for 20+ years and it is great to get support like this.

Douglas MILLER
ST Employee

This forum thread was marked by the moderator as needing a little more investigation, so a Support case was created in your name and will be handled off-line. Should anyone have any similar questions, please feel free to open a Support case directly at your myST portal: https://my.st.com/ols