cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADC on Nucleo 401RE

willow
Associate III

Hello everyone, im trying to understand how the configuration and the use of the ADC is usued on a NUCLEO401RE. I've read the datasheet and reference Manuel but still its not clear.

I have configure the pin A0 on CubeIDE to be an ADC input. But now i don't now how to handle the software part and which functions (HAL or not) to use to read this entry and get their value.

Could someone help me code this ? or give me some indications maybe ?

Im thanking you in advance for your kind help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AScha.3
Chief

Hi,

1. use Cube + HAL (best for beginning to do something...)

2. how to use the peripherals , just look in the HAL lib (in your generated project -> /Drivers/STM32xx_HAL_Driver/

then open , what you look for, here ADC : stm32xx_hal_adc.c .

Here you see all "standard" calls for this, e.g.  HAL_ADC_Start(..) and short description:

/**
  * @brief  Enable ADC, start conversion of regular group.
  * @note   Interruptions enabled in this function: None.
  * @note   Case of multimode enabled (when multimode feature is available):
  *           if ADC is Slave, ADC is enabled but conversion is not started,
  *           if ADC is master, ADC is enabled and multimode conversion is started.
  * @PAram hadc ADC handle
  * @retval HAL status
  */
HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_ADC_Start(ADC_HandleTypeDef *hadc)
{

and also the variants, to use it with INT or DMA .

And you can search on github, many projects there, to get some "inspiration" .

(But dont expect click and ready examples, like on Arduino...)

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

You can inspire from the example provided in the STM32CubeF4 package under this link:

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeF4/tree/master/Projects/STM32F401-Discovery/Examples/ADC/ADC_RegularConversion_DMA

It does use DMA to transfer converted values in the RAM.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you for your response, however i the files uploaded on this github, i can't find any particular code that would help me, in the main.c file, besides the ADC configuration that are automatically done by CubeMX, I don't see any kind of software exemple that describe this process...

Sorry I didn't understand what do you mean by: 

besides the ADC configuration that are automatically done by CubeMX, I don't see any kind of software exemple that describe this process...

I pointed you out to an example which was not generated by CubeMx. It's a complete example, you can refer to the readme file to understand how it works.

You can generate the code with CubeMx and add your code from the example I provided to you in / User code start */ / User code end */ section.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
AScha.3
Chief

Hi,

1. use Cube + HAL (best for beginning to do something...)

2. how to use the peripherals , just look in the HAL lib (in your generated project -> /Drivers/STM32xx_HAL_Driver/

then open , what you look for, here ADC : stm32xx_hal_adc.c .

Here you see all "standard" calls for this, e.g.  HAL_ADC_Start(..) and short description:

/**
  * @brief  Enable ADC, start conversion of regular group.
  * @note   Interruptions enabled in this function: None.
  * @note   Case of multimode enabled (when multimode feature is available):
  *           if ADC is Slave, ADC is enabled but conversion is not started,
  *           if ADC is master, ADC is enabled and multimode conversion is started.
  * @PAram hadc ADC handle
  * @retval HAL status
  */
HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_ADC_Start(ADC_HandleTypeDef *hadc)
{

and also the variants, to use it with INT or DMA .

And you can search on github, many projects there, to get some "inspiration" .

(But dont expect click and ready examples, like on Arduino...)

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
willow
Associate III

Thank you @SofLit and @AScha.3, I have finally manage to do it in deed thnaks to the examples and the HAL library which provide good functions to easily to that. However theres no HAL_Functions that allows to only check if the ADC measure done by HAL_ADC_Start(). Theres 2 possibilities with HAL library :

-  HAL_ADC_PoolForConversion(...) : this function is working with a TimeOut which does not allow to execute other tasks while this period is not over.

- HAL_ADC_GetValue(...) : this function only get the result of the HAL_ADC_Start() measure. But theres no way to check if the measuring process is over before getting the value or not, with the HAL_Library. 

Anyway thank you very much for your help, and maybe see you soon on other STM32 forums.

Right, HAL_ADC_PollForConversion(...), is waiting , as its name suggests.

But think: if you have the ADC converting at 1 Msps, it will just wait 1 us for one conversion...not sooo long time. 🙂

If you just want look "is it busy or ready now", try :  HAL_ADC_GetState() .

+

If doing a lot of conversions at hi speed, think about using  HAL_ADC_Start_DMA() , then you get just an INT, when the (new) ADC data block is finished.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion about HAL_ADC_GetState(), i'll try it asap. 

In deed, 1 us is not a long time at all but this ADC process is part of another one bigger that has to be run every 5ms and there's a lot of other task to run so the idea is to be the most effecient possible 😉 

I'll investigate about the use of DMA for that. Again, thank you very much for your helpfull answers !

@AScha.3 if somehow you are still curious about how to read the value only when the measurement is over, the process i finally used is by gettinf rid of the HAL_functions and to use directly the flags of the ADC and to right my code with the process of a state diagram ( iwould enjoy to show it but i can't because of confidentiality policy)

Perfect !

Or try the LL lib, that is fast, but maybe not so comfortable as HAL (at not available for everything).

If you want/need something really fast, write/read the registers direct - you know.

And using HAL , just look how its done - or read in rm, what register you need/can use .

So you get something working really in short time with using HAL , but this is a "bloated" complex lib, that might need a microsecond to set a port pin...just leave it as it is, if you only switch on a LED with this.

But if you want something really fast, write to the pin and do it at cpu speed : 4ns on a H563 at 250M -> e.g.

GPIOG->BSRR = GPIO_PIN_4;

This is the way !