cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidental EXTI-Interrupts on STM32H735

AZorn.1
Associate III

Hello,

maybe someone has an idea or can share an similar experience. Since I'm currently in the evaluation phase for selecting an MCU for our new industrial embedded project. I want to inspect and analyze this problem, to be sure the used MCU is working fine and i can use it (STM32H735IGK6).

Issue:
Pushbuttons on different EXTI-Interrupt  randomly fires twice or more times. Some GPIOs are effected, but not all, i have tested.

Setup:
Own PCB-Layout, 6 Pushbuttons, every one is debounced with 10kOhm and 10nF. Signal looks fine on scope, no bouncing can be seen with scope, absolutely clean signal.

Test 1:
apply a 200mHz sine-wave directly to the button pin. Expected behavior is: one interrupt on rising one interrupt on falling signal (due to the 200mV hysteresis on every input pin, as mentioned in datasheet). Behavior in RealLife: as soon as the voltage level on the pin reaches the switching thresholds of the input pin, i get lots of Interrupts (Rising and falling edge).
BUT now its getting freaky: if i turn off the running FMC access to an external RAM, instantly everything works as expected - only one single interrupt per transition.

Test 2:
same as above, but the FMC-access only bursts data every few seconds for approx. 250ms. Result: only, during FMC-access i get this accidential interrupts. (just to be sure: i checked the signal with the scope again: the waveform looks perfectly clean, without any noise, glitches, or something else)

I don't know if this can be an mcu-internal emc-issue or something like that, but fact is, if i enable the data transfer to the external RAM, the EXTI-Peripheral (or the schmitt trigger inside) gets extremely disturbed.
Of course, in this use case with buttons, a simple workaround is possible, but i also need a solution for other, more complex applications with combinations of FMC and EXTI (e.g. FPGA Communications, ...)

30 REPLIES 30
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @AZorn.1 

Try to monitor the VDD supply during FMC to check for noise due to simultaneous switching noise (SSN).

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello AScha.3,

i like the idea, to measure the voltage of the pin, when it is configured as output, for checking the internal power rail of the GPIO Peripheral.

Compare GPIO driven LOW - without and with FMC-Active:

scope_5.png

vs.

scope_6.png

Compare GPIO driven HIGH - without and with FMC-Active:

scope_7.png

vs.

scope_8.png

noise is in both cases definitely more than nothing. The 3V3-supply-ripple, the noise on the pin and the noise on the power-rails in sum is with sure not that far away from the 200mV Hysteresis of the GPIO-Pin. Most of the noise effects the chip internally, so i think, with better filtering, or better layout you can't reach a really safe design with this mcu as long as the schmitt trigger hysteresis is that low.

You are right, that the 0.3 to 0.7xVDD (in my case 3.3V * .4 = 1,3V) - undefined area for digital pins is much higher the the 200mV Hysteresis, but if this sum of noise is the problem of this/my issue, wouldn't it be better to have higher Schmitt Trigger hysteresis (e.g. 500mV or even more)? Why isn't it designed higher?

I have never paid so much attention to a GPIO evaluation as I did with ST now. And I didn't need it either.

Hi @AZorn.1 ,

I see about 10mVss + 50mVss with FMC on gnd ; i am little bit surprised - i expected more. 🙂

Is cpu setup with slow/medium pin speed or hi ..? Would be interesting, to see "gnd " with highest pin speed , to compare effect.

+

btw Where is this 30kHz ripple on vdd coming from?  smps supply ?

+

Which pin/port is tested ? + on which group is FMC ?

Because cpu internal ground is not same on all digital ports + analog group (just guessing here).

Maybe  @STOne-32 could tell us about internal ground - if he likes...

+ see my last problem with a pin on H743 ->

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/h743vi-pin-dies-away-reliability-problem-of-chip/m-p/638320#M235119

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hello,

• this scopes are done on the original FMC setting with 133MHz and highest pin-speed.
  • 30KHz ripple is from SMPS-supply,
  • one of the affected pin is PB12 (on which i did de scopes above)
  • FMC in my design is muxed as following:
    PD1 ------> FMC_D3
    PE0 ------> FMC_NBL0
    PE1 ------> FMC_NBL1
    PD0 ------> FMC_D2
    PG15 ------> FMC_SDNCAS
    PF1 ------> FMC_A1
    PF0 ------> FMC_A0
    PG5 ------> FMC_BA1
    PF2 ------> FMC_A2
    PG8 ------> FMC_SDCLK
    PG4 ------> FMC_BA0
    PF4 ------> FMC_A4
    PF5 ------> FMC_A5
    PF3 ------> FMC_A3
    PD14 ------> FMC_D0
    PD15 ------> FMC_D1
    PD9 ------> FMC_D14
    PC0 ------> FMC_SDNWE
    PD10 ------> FMC_D15
    PD8 ------> FMC_D13
    PC2 ------> FMC_SDNE0
    PC3 ------> FMC_SDCKE0
    PE14 ------> FMC_D11
    PF11 ------> FMC_SDNRAS
    PE8 ------> FMC_D5
    PG1 ------> FMC_A11
    PF15 ------> FMC_A9
    PF13 ------> FMC_A7
    PG0 ------> FMC_A10
    PE7 ------> FMC_D4
    PF12 ------> FMC_A6
    PE12 ------> FMC_D9
    PE13 ------> FMC_D10
    PE15 ------> FMC_D12
    PE10 ------> FMC_D7
    PF14 ------> FMC_A8
    PE9 ------> FMC_D6
    PE11 ------> FMC_D8
LCE
Principal

Just to make sure:

scope measurements are done without the ~10cm GND clip, but with the ground / spring / tip directly besides the "hot" contact?

AZorn.1
Associate III

@LCEyes, with the spring-tip, to have GND loop as small as possible.
👍

Ah, spring-tip is the official name? Never used that in english... 😅

Hi @AZorn.1 

Can you store PB12 IDR values in an array with a while loop and see if it matches with the unexpected EXTI firing ?

You said that the 30KHz noise on your VDD is coming from SMPS. It is an external SMPS providing 3V3 to the MCU ?

Can you provide MCU VDD from another source for test purpose

Can you make sure there is enough decoupling on VDD as mentioned in HW getting started Getting started with STM32H723/733, STM32H725/735 and STM32H730 Value Line hardware development - section 9.3?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

AZorn.1
Associate III

sorry for my partially google-translated way of writing here.
What would you name this item:

AZorn1_0-1707842265550.png

I was rather laughing about myself, I think "spring-tip" is pretty good.

I would call it "Probe-Kontakt-Feder", beautiful "Denglisch". 😉