cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 STM32 Wish List

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Dear Community Members & STM32 fans,

Let’s end 2018 thanking you for your involvement in our Community and wishing you all the best for 2019!

0690X000006CwKbQAK.jpg

As already done in 2017 (https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009bLPmvSAG) and in 2018 (https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009bLSAKSA4), we open this space to hear from you.

This is an opportunity for us to evaluate what we deliver as offer and to know your expectations.

If we come back to the STM32 portfolio end of last year, it was like this:

0690X000006CwKgQAK.png

Now the image is getting larger with new products as well as ecosystem components:

0690X000006CwKlQAK.jpg

Compared to the wishes you shared previous years, we weren’t able to answer all proposals for sure, but may be some of our solutions met what you looked for. Like for example: delivering .ioc file in the STM32Cube package which we started with STM32G0...

Either you are a follower of the STM32 history as well as the Community updates, or a new member in this space, would you mind share with us your feedback answering the following 3 questions:

• What shouldn’t be done (don’t say migration to new Community platform or new CubeMX interface (because both of them will be improved)?
  • What you appreciate the most as STM32 related offer?
  • What do you expect/suggest related to the STM32 and its ecosystem?

All together, keep UP our STM32 Community!

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

171 REPLIES 171

I would shorten this to: More Applications notes and way more examples.

https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009XkVvLSAV

JW

Bitfield values definitions in the CMSIS-mandated device headers.\

https://community.st.com/s/feed/0D50X00009XkVsDSAV

JW

More technical staff presence in the forum. I mean presence, not random occurence.

It would be even better if the middle management would be present and willing to discuss; it would also give them invaluable first-hand experience with this ehm uhm...

JW

Absolutely! Its absurd to have to work out hex values to read and write.

All your competitors provide such sensible definitions for all peripheral control fields.

Given the well-known deficiencies in LL and HAL, many of us are forced to use the

ugly shift macros, and waste time debugging without decoded bitfields...

Another vote for better device headers!

Best Regards, Dave

In particular, bitfield definitions for all peripheral registers!

StefanoP
Associate

Internal HS USB Phy on STM32H7 MCUs, or in alternative better pin multiplexing options.

RobG
Associate III

I have been working with the STM family for about a year on project I inherited. It used the old standard peripheral libraries. I was looking forward with the new project to updating to the Cube libraries.

I think you need to spend a little more time on them. I was trying to create a High Speed USB Human Interface Device with a STM32F407. Discovery board should be a great start right? Big let down!

1) With IAR embedded Workbench 8.30.2 and Cube 1.21.0. I tried to compile the 408 Discovery demonstration to C++. I had to typecast 25 calls then it couldn't find some functions. I got my code based off of the demo working in C, but compiled to C++ and it hangs. So in short you need some C++ testing please.

2) Although the discovery board won't support it directly. I think you need a USB High Speed example. I have searched posted here and 2 weeks later still looking for answers.

From what I have used I like the Cube better than the SP libraries, but they are still lacking in my opinion.

Thanks

Mich1
Associate III

STM32Cube indent using 2 spaces: a wish to change it to 4 spaces in option.

possibility to specify additionnal directories for peripherals (not only src and inc)

ManishNair
Associate III

I am new to ST's micro controller and started with STM32H743/STM32H753.

When compared to the developments using other companies products, i am feeling very hard to (start with STM32) find the exact solutions; (even though sufficient/plenty of resources provided by ST).

What newbies requires, to start development around a Core, are code examples/methods/procedure , for that specific controller.... You provide Reference manuals, 'how to get..." documents, application notes, etc etc without the sample programs ( i can'd find any sample code in documents provided for H7x3, may be you included them for any other product or somewhere else). ((((Thanks to CliveTwo.Zero (Community Member) who patiently and immediately solves my problem in ST community...)))

So my hope/suggestion in 2019, is to include some sample code any where else Referance / development / how to manuals (I Know the codes are in CubeH7 example folder for nucleo and eval, but can't find how to incorporate them in a code for custom Board).

Second thing, support !... when compared with TI , the support from ST is very poor ! No response even after 24 hours. ( I stared using TM4C1294NCPDT (just after it was launched) with a max knowledge of using MCS51 8-bit controller in assembly language ) they guided me to explore/implement knook and corner of Cortex M3. There I got my problems solved within hours. The indexing of solutions /reference are organised well physiologically. )

Also the multiplexing of pins in H7x3 can be improved functionally.